2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I feel like whatever Skinner would have gained for USA on VT/FX, she would have lost on UB/BB because she would have ended up doing AA. Her best beam was a 7.133 and I don’t remember what she got on UB. Now add being put up in TFs at the last minute on her worst events and who knows what we would have gotten out of her. A few minor errors on beam and the USA is counting a 6 E-score.

And just for the record if you take Simone out and put Skinner as the fourth gymnast, the US would end up with a 169.129 and still in second. If you put Carey in instead of Simone they end up with a 169.896 which would just barely take the gold. Although both these scenarios take Chiles out of floor and use Lee’s score.

Last edited:
Basically if you sub her AA total from prelims for Grace’s today, the team total does come out slightly higher. And all that NCAA experience has made her a very good competitor, so I certainly see why she and her camp would fancy her to hit in that scenario. It’s just that it wouldn’t have made any difference at all to the result. Additionally, if we’re playing that game then Jade would’ve been even better. Though still not enough.

Really there’s no way any combination of the other available athletes would’ve beaten Russia today after Simone withdrew. That’s even true if we include those who didn’t make the Olympics.

Thank you for the numbers. I just used them for somebody attempting to argue with me that Skinner would have been a better choice than Chiles and that she would have made a difference to the standings.

Tom is a dunce, but the team we have is the best team he could have formed. Skinner had her chance to shine as an individual and fell short. Thems the breaks.

That’s a ridiculous argument because there was never any chance Jordan wasn’t going. Of course she had to be selected. And with Suni on the team, which was even more of a no brainer, Jordan was always almost certain to be needed on floor. They might as well argue that Mykayla should’ve been on in 2016 for Laurie.

I’m glad Simone made the right decision for her health. I honestly never want to see Skinner compete again due to her husband’s post. I am so tired of her crap. I do wonder though if Simone would have been so understanding 5 years ago if Gabby bowed out of the team competition with the same circumstances.

Some more numbers a team of Carey, Chiles, Lee, and Skinner would score 170.595 using Lee on floor or 168.629 using Chiles. Finally, a team of Carey, Lee, McCallum, and Skinner would score 169.996. Obviously, none of these scenarios are realistic, but perhaps interesting regardless.

Last edited:
Have you watched her routines? Would you rather she injure herself (or worse)? Not worth it. If she had a tantrum and pulled pit bc of a score (she wouldn’t)….sure. I would agree. But to protect her health when she clearly isn’t focused?? Nope.

This person also didn’t seem to quite understand that USA could not bring in an alternate after Simone pulled out. Once the competition has begun, that’s it. Which is kind of ridiculous with 3-up, 3-count and a four-person team, but that’s how it is.

According to gymcastic (so pinch of salt) he was asked to go to media but refused. The team did their press conference though

Just rewatched the US vault warmup. I’m not sure if anyone else has listed what happened, so I will.

The US all did timers for the first vault. FTY for Grace and layouts for the other two. Simone was laughing and joking with Melnikova before hers and seemed pretty relaxed.

Then Grace and Jordan both did nice big DTYs, Grace’s probably better than the one she actually competed. Neither of them tried to stick. Simone went last and did a 1.5, not an Amanar as I initially thought, to forward roll. Hard to tell whether that was intentional or not, and we didn’t see her face as she walked off.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back