2024 Olympic Games: Event Finals Day 2: Sunday, Aug 4 (9:00 AM EST)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think I need to watch more MAG just to listen to Justin Spring. He is into these competitions
I watched this afternoon and somehow wound up with the international commentators. I want to rewatch the men’s just to listen to Justin (and I may or may not have napped through rings so aka want to actually watch that). The international duo are better than Laurie but don’t hold a candle to Justin.

Are they? If they truly took a stand against abusive coaching practices, I can't see that they would be. I thought we were done with "the ends justify the means" when it comes to gymnastics coaching practices.

I'd much rather see happy mediocre gymnasts than phenomenal broken ones. I can't even watch some of my favorite competitions from the 90s and early 00s anymore because I can't stand the thought of the coaching that lead to those performances.
Have the abuse allegations came from gymnasts or just the federation?

Are they? If they truly took a stand against abusive coaching practices, I can't see that they would be. I thought we were done with "the ends justify the means" when it comes to gymnastics coaching practices.

I'd much rather see happy mediocre gymnasts than phenomenal broken ones. I can't even watch some of my favorite competitions from the 90s and early 00s anymore because I can't stand the thought of the coaching that lead to those performances.
I mean, the way I heard it was, she didn't want to move. It was only 2 days ago that I heard about these allegations. If that's the case then yes, but that will also be a horrible sad tale of abuse producing success and a compassionate approach not getting anywhere sportwise. Which, yes, it does sound like this sport, tbh. I just hope she's ok

Wasn't there more to Nemour making the switch?
I seem to recall her doctors cleared her to being training and to do competitions. But the French federation refused to clear her.

Am I making this up?

Wasn't there more to Nemour making the switch?
I seem to recall her doctors cleared her to being training and to do competitions. But the French federation refused to clear her.

Am I making this up?
That was mentioned in the article RedBirdie linked. Her personal doctor said it was okay but the French fed doctor was holding things up.

I don't want to disclaim abuse allegations, but I am curious as to the timeline of these allegations compared to denying Nemour, compared to her announcement of switching countries.

I don't want to disclaim abuse allegations, but I am curious as to the timeline of these allegations compared to denying Nemour, compared to her announcement of switching countries.
I believe that the abuse allegations were made by the federation themselves. Despite this, they selected Elena Colas for junior euros this year

The federation wanted her to move from her home, her town, her coach and gym.

As I understand it, the rough chain of events

1. French fed decrees that national team members must train at 1 of 2 national centres
2. Nemour refuses to go, so tie federation strips her club of its status and funding
3. When that doesn’t work, the federation says the reason for the 2 training centres is to protect the gymnasts from being overtrained
4. Launches investigation into Avoine club regarding abusive training practices
5. Nemour who has been mostly injured during this time, is cleared by her doctor to return to training
6 French fed demands she is examined by their doctor, who refuses to clear her
7 Nemour requests transfer to Algeria. France refuses, so she has to wait a year

Again, not to deny abuse allegations, but the timing seems a bit sus. Do we have any evidence of gymnasts speaking out about the abuse?

Probably following orders. Clearly that doctor was wrong.

5th AA at an Olympics and a gold medalist on bars. She should never have competed again!

Again, not to deny abuse allegations, but the timing seems a bit sus. Do we have any evidence of gymnasts speaking out about the abuse?
I think someone here posted video of her coach not spotting his athlete in a way that seemed deliberate and not helping her when she fell. I believe the footage was old and I firmly believe some people are capable of change (while others are given every incentive to be best and consistently refuse) so I wouldn't want to say the coach is abusive but the past is a bit concerning.

Hopefully her parents aren't insane gymparents and are keeping an eye on what goes on. Definitely the French Fed's investigation finding nothing puts the coach in a better light in the present.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back