Men’s Team Final

2024 Olympic MAG Team Final (Monday: July 29, 2024) 11:30 PM ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think Northern European cities are sometimes not very used to dealing with high temperatures. I know Berlin for example is horrible when it's anything past 27º, yet now I'm in Spain at 35+ and it's actually livable, cause there's AC everywhere and nobody schedules a meeting at 13, for example.

Yes. UK is very unpleasant for a few weeks every summer. But countries that have very cold winters design and build to keep heat inside. Nobody I know has AC except perhaps a single unit.

I'm not American, don't spend much time in spaces with air con and I'd really struggle to cope in the sort of heat Paris is getting. BBC reckons 35 degrees Celsius today. I have only experienced that level of heat a couple of times in my life, living in the north of England and avoiding warm climates in hot months, and found it far too much. As @onodian said, it's what you're used to.

Heat and associated effects can also cause issues for people with respiratory conditions. My brother is asthmatic and lives in Hanoi, which I accept was an optimistic choice given the pollution levels, and his chest is worse when it's hotter.

Yeah, well, that wasn’t the case from Friday through Sunday. The heat wave started yesterday. I’m actually in Paris and in the arena. If the gymnasts are hot, it’s because they’re wearing long sleeves and moving around. I haven’t been uncomfortable wearing a t-shirt and sitting for hours. The venue where table tennis is being held has had the best AC so far, though. I was actually chilly.

The competitors in judo looked uncomfortably hot yesterday, in their gis and undershirts. 🥵

I mean it's usually the case that there will be a heatwave in Spain and France, with higher temperatures in Spain, but clearly higher mortality from heat related issues in France. I expect this will change in the coming years tho. Everybody is kind of learning to get used to whatever, frankly.

We recover from heat during sleep. And the Olympic Village's rooms are not very comfortable environments. The wealthier countries installed a/c but everyone else is relying on a subpar cooling system. And standing fans aren't as effective as ceiling fans. So I can't imagine the village rooms are helping here.

The competitors in judo looked uncomfortably hot yesterday, in their gis and undershirts. 🥵
To be fair, they always look like that at competitions.

I'm am American, in the American South, who avoids turning on the AC until I absolutely have to, I kayak when it's 90 degrees out, I even hiked in California in 100+ a couple weeks ago (dry heat! Short hikes with lots of water).

And I'll be completely honest: these Paris heatwave temperatures would have me inside complaining about how freaking hot it is. We're actually dealing with similar temps with the added bonus of awful humidity and thunderstorms almost every day. It sucks.

We just got out of a heat wave that resulted in heat advisories and temps up to 110 degrees + near 100% humidity. It's cooler now, but still very high humidity so it's still miserable. If I could get away with it, I'd have the A/C at 65.

I live in the USA’S northwest where winter temps can go -42 F but in recent years summer it’s been 95 + and doesn’t cool off at night. 20 yeats ago no one had air conditioning but houses are built with it now because it’s very hot and I use a floor unit to cool it to 75-80. I’m in my 60’s and there’s no way I could function otherwise. Also the forest fire situation dictates closing normal air out and running a filter. We have fires bigger than some European countries.

IMG_1448.jpeg

Maybe we should split this thread into another one about horrible weather events?

I was pretty shocked he didn't repeat any of the elements. Particularly the laid Tkachev as he had "successfully" done a Liukin before

Just a rebuttal of the ongoing “Americans are spoiled” and “air-conditioning means people are spoiled” narrative since it affects the needs of the athletes. Back on track now.

I thought they were at a pub at first but then realized they had bottled water!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back