2024 Olympic Games: Event Finals Day 1: Aug 3

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Admittedly I've had a few drinks tonight, but I tried to reenact Rhys' divine toe point and hip extension to a bar and.....well, I was told by a guy "yeah, I don't really at another guy's hip extension."

But, wow, was it beautiful and his a worthy gold medalist.

I didn’t get to watch any of today’s event finals until tonight but managed to go relatively unspoiled. I did accidentally see a headline about Simone but didn’t see anything about Stephen so figured he didn’t medal. I was so pleasantly surprised to see him medal. I’m thrilled for Rhys, his pommels are gorgeous, and so happy to see Stephen get another medal.

I really hope that Stephen’s popularity and success helps boys gymnastics programs here. I had a hell of a time finding a place for my son to do gymnastics with a boys program. He loves gym and was so so so pumped to go to class this morning after watching Olympics all week. And he worked his Rubik’s cube in the car on the drive this morning too because that’s how you win medals.

The only semi affordable place with a boys program near near me is all tramp focused. And by semi affordable, I mean not at all affordable. What can you do?

The primetime is giving Stephen more airtime than Simone got. Guess one more pirouette on his dismount would have been .1 more. I also watched a little closer since I knew what happened and I have to say, I hate the Kazakhstan guy's form--the hunched shoulders and bent head just didn’t look good.

I went to a small music festival in Stephen’s hometown today and overheard a couple of girls talking excitedly about him. It was cute! And the first time I have ever in my life happened across someone talking about pommel horse in the real world.

Such beautiful toe point
He has gorgeous toe point and such a beautiful extended line. My mother has been referring to him as my "Irish guy" and seems to think I have a crush on him. And I'm over here like, no, he's cute....but look at that body line!

Admittedly I've had a few drinks tonight, but I tried to reenact Rhys' divine toe point and hip extension to a bar and.....well, I was told by a guy "yeah, I don't really at another guy's hip extension."

But, wow, was it beautiful and his a worthy gold medalist.
If only you had more Eastern European male coaches around. Those dudes LOVE good extension.

Question--is FTDLO common in women's FX? I just have basic knowledge of the different skills so would love to know about FTDLO.

I always appreciate a band that can incorporate bagpipes. And it's funny ha-ha and a little funny weird that "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" gets used as background music for Irish anything. I expect it out of Boston/USA as a whole, but France?
I love the Dropkick Murphys - saw them in Newcastle years ago!

Question--is FTDLO common in women's FX? I just have basic knowledge of the different skills so would love to know about FTDLO.
It’s become pretty common in the last 5 years or so. The majority of top gymnasts have competed it at some point, even if they don’t currently

HAs anyone seen or got confirmation about why Luke's FX was low?

No actual confirmation but Justin stated that any skill that has a .5 deduction or higher, you lose credit for the combination.
Considering Luke had a 6.5 D score in qualifications and a 6.3 in event finals, he lost .2 and the double front had a .5 squat.
Pretty sure Justin explained it correctly.

Simone Biles and Jade Carey of the USA, and Rebeca Andrade of Brazil did excellent on VT !

Once again, the USA had better watch out for Brazil. Brazil is a super power in WAG.

Also, it seems that Simone Biles is the only American able to beat Rebeca Andrade of Brazil.

Brazil is truly BIG in WAG ! Big in WAG indeed is Brazil !

José M.

Brazil is definitely up there, but it doesn't seem like they have the depth. Barbosa is 33 and Andrade and Saravia have been to 3 olympics. We saw their depth tested in 2019.
I am hoping Julia Soares has a good go at beam finals.

Brazil is definitely up there, but it doesn't seem like they have the depth. Barbosa is 33 and Andrade and Saravia have been to 3 olympics. We saw their depth tested in 2019.
I am hoping Julia Soares has a good go at beam finals.
Soares has a lot of potential

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back