2022 World Gymnastics Championships WAG Team Final (Tuesday 11/01 )

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

AA scores for those who competed on all four events:

Andrade 56.698 (1 fall)
Chiles 55.833
Black 55.166
Kinsella 53.632 (1 fall)
Maggio 52.432 (2 falls on bars, I saw someone say she fell on beam as well?)
de Jesus dos Santos 51.332 (looks like 2 or 3 falls)
Tang 48.898 (5 falls I think)

Just reading through the thread was a ride. I’m so gutted for Japan when they were so close to a historical bronze. I have been wanting Japan’s WAG to get to the level of their MAG and be favorites for a medal. But yay for Canada! There’s something to be said about a USA-GBR-CAN podium. This American is happy for Mother England (yes, it’s GBR but the entire team is English, yes?) and Sister Canada.

China went balls out for 2008 and it’s been a steady decline since instead of keeping themselves competitive and consistent medal contenders. And they’re imploding on beam which is one of the two events they rely on to be in the medal hunt.

The Gadirovas were born in Ireland (to Azerbaijani parents) but moved to England at three months and Alice Kinsella has an Irish parent. Not sure about the fourth. But all aside the twins were born in England.

About that water on the beam:

It really, really needs to be emphasized with athletes and coaches that if the equipment feels off or unsafe in any way, they need to stop and make a fuss until it’s dealt with. Bart Deurloo at 2017 Worlds is your example here. Do what he did.

I also do not understand how the people in charge of the equipment ignored this.

It seems the athletes think whatever the conditions are they just have to deal with it.

And as the organizers clearly knew about it, if they were sending someone up to wipe off the equipment between routines, then you look directly into the camera televising the competition and say, “There is water leaking on the beam and they have to wipe it down between routines, but they won’t stop the competition to make sure the equipment is safe.”

Where was the leak coming from? Was it condensation from the roof dripping down and bullseying the beam?

BRA only lost to Canada by a point. They easily lost 2.0-2.5 by Saraiva’s routines being replaced with Pedro.

Rafiki, I cannot wait read your take on what you saw today!
I’m still processing tbh. Will try and write something tomorrow (or rather later today!).

Not sure about the 0.3 for Kinsella. Someone in quals got a 0.3 ND and when we looked up it was stuff like not saluting, taking too long to start etc but I’m not sure what applied in this case. I was about as far away as you can get from beam so I certainly couldn’t see the timer.

Were any of the falls and hesitations possibly caused by water on the beam?

I’m seeing that Flavia is out of the AA. No word on floor finals yet, but imagine she is out of that as well.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back