2023 Worlds WAG Team Final (Wednesday 10/04)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
CEST 7:30 PM
EST 1:30 PM

:vt:
  1. 🇺🇸 USA
  2. :uk: Great Britain
:ub:
3. 🇨🇳 China
4. :brazil: Brazil

🇧🇧
5. 🇮🇹 Italy
6. :netherlands: Netherlands

:fx:
7. 🇫🇷 France
8. 🇯🇵 Japan

Reserve 1: :australia: Australia
Reserve 2: :romania: Romania

Links:

Last edited:
So USA
Biles and Jones= AA
Wong= BB
Blakely=UB
Roberson= VT/FX

Not really any surprises, but kinda shocked they are making Jones and Biles both do AA again.

GB:
Gadirova: AA
Kinsella: UB, FX
Achampong: VT, BB
Evans: VT, FX
Fenton: UB, BB

Also no major surprises there

Last edited:
GB:

Gadirova AA
Achampong VT, BB
Evans VT, FX
Fenton UB, BB
Kinsella UB, FX

Wonder what they’re going to have Evans do on vault…

At least from everything we’ve heard about lineups from the last two worlds, Biles and Jones probably had a say in it and are onboard.

I can’t see any way she attempts the Amanar. It’s clearly a big gamble and not ready. One thing to have a go in prelims when the score can be dropped, quite another in a tight 3 way battle for silver in the final. Ruby has a strong DTY so it makes sense to go for that.

In respect of the other GB choices, that’s the least they’ve used Kinsella in a TF for years.

I am quite surprised about Blakely not doing BB. Except of this past Sunday, all her BB routines were solid this year I believe.

I thought so as well but maybe Skye didn’t feel like she could do it… Are we assuming that Simone will do the cheng tomorrow and only do the YDP in EF?

The Cheng was her primary vault for years, but it hasn’t been looking great (I don’t think she started training it again later?) and she used the YDP as her main vault in quals. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either one tomorrow.

I’m shocked that Blakely is not going to be used for team finals on beam. There is no reason to use a safe Wong routine except to punish Blakely for those mistakes, or to give Wong at least one thing to do in finals. Blakely almost medaled on the event last year with a fall. Admittedly I’m bringing up another time that she’s fallen, but she’s been very consistent on the event this year. But if that’s all they could come up with for Wong to do, then I’m glad she gets to do a routine tomorrow.

Well - if you have athletes who are more consistent (probably in training also), then it makes sense to bench the athlete who fell twice in qualifications, no?

It’s not as if the US is completely immune to making mistakes and another team to get close enough to push them out of the gold position. That might just as well happen. Especially if they get nervous on beam.

Blakely almost landed her BB dismount on her head, which concerns me more than her fall on the back tuck.

Chellsie is not vindictive. She isn’t punishing her. After all, when they thought Chiles would redeem herself on beam last year, they put her up. She’s simply doing what they think is best for the team. And maybe Skye didn’t feel confident.

Plus Blakely still is doing one event, as is Wong. It’s a win - win.

Floor is a more interesting choice than vault, I think. This assumes Ruby’s doing the DTY rather than the Amanar though- if it’s actually the latter, the risk is off the charts!

I tend to think, though, that her doing the DTY is neither here nor there unless her nerves have really gone, but that it’s probably a necessity if they want to try her on floor. You wouldn’t want someone with so little competitive experience going to a clutch routine in the final rotation, when her last event was a splat and she’s had to sit on her hands for the first three.

GB are also in a position where they might benefit from being a bit strategic. There’s not a lot depth in the programme at the moment, and neither of the two most obvious contenders for the 5th spot are exactly safe bets to be healthy enough for Paris. It would be no real surprise if Becky and Jen were both injured. Having already taken the relative gamble of bringing a new senior with no major championship experience, there’s some benefit in seeing whether she can hack it.

Blakely almost landed her BB dismount on her head, which concerns me more than her fall on the back tuck.

Chellsie is not vindictive. She isn’t punishing her. After all, when they thought Chiles would redeem herself on beam last year, they put her up. She’s simply doing what they think is best for the team. And maybe Skye didn’t feel confident.

Plus Blakely still is doing one event, as is Wong. It’s a win - win.
Agreed.

Skye has hit 1 out of 4 beam routines in major championships. I could understand an argument that it’s worth giving her one last opportunity to prove herself while the US can probably afford it, but as you point out, there’s also the safety issue. That double pike really didn’t look great. I don’t see that it’s vindictive not to use her in these circumstances. Vindictive would be benching her on bars as well.

I heard Ruby said in media right after that she was going to do the Amanar in TFs. Might’ve been a heat of the moment, annoyed at herself thing though.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back