2022 World Gymnastics Championships WAG Team Final (Tuesday 11/01 )

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I did read that they got quarantined for 4 weeks when returning from a competition abroad, not sure of the veracity.

But this is structural really. Their short term performance may have been worsened, but there’s a long term trend visible here. They have the talent and system behind them that they should be consistently competitive.

Videos are showing on YouTube for those who didn’t get to view it live.

Last edited:
As someone noted on twitter, this is now a 15 year trend of mismanagement. It is the norm, not the exception, that China fails in team competition.

Last edited:
If only there was an E Panel bonus for “fighting hard” and “evident skill level”.
Likely you took multiple big deductions for several of her mistakes when only one needs to be given. An E-score differential of 1.3 doesn’t happen out of nowhere.

I really hesitate to mention this, because I know that body type is a thing and China selects for it, but I wonder what role REDS might be playing.

" Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) is where the body is not taking in enough energy to meet the demands placed on it by the amount of exercise being performed. This is called Reduced Energy Availability."

I had to look it up
" Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S)

Some physically active people are at risk for Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport or RED-S. This often unrecognized disorder can include low energy availability (inadequate caloric intake); with or without disordered eating; amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods); and low bone mineral density."
"RED-S can impair health and sport performance.

Lowered energy availability: an underfueled athlete is a slowed and weakened athlete. No matter what the sport, if your muscles lack sufficient and proper fuel, performance is impaired. At first there might just be some early fatigue. As the fuel deficit worsens, actual loss of strength and muscle size can occur as the body uses skeletal muscle in order to fuel essential body functions, like heart function and breathing. Lack of fuel can also lead to your inability to concentrate, not a quality befitting an athlete. If you are an athlete with strength losses and poor concentration, you can be more easily injured. Injuries then are slow to heal in a poorly fueled body.

Amenorrhea: Loss of menstrual periods may signal a change in your body’s intricate and complicated hormone system. Hormone imbalance from underfueling your body can result in lowered estrogen production. There are also other causes of lowered estrogen levels. A diminished estrogen level can have many effects; the most immediately apparent one can be bone loss. Amenorrhea can often go unreported to medical providers because of the common belief it is “just part of the training effect.” We do know that the bone loss that occurs as a result of this is NOT “just part of the training effect” and can start to occur after just a few months with no period.

Low bone mineral density: Loss of bone, especially if you are an athlete, can be an unfortunate setup for an injury. Stress fractures can sideline sports activity and be slow to repair if you are underfueled. Repeated stress fractures and unexplained injuries should be a red flag to further evaluate your eating and exercise patterns. Bone loss that occurs because of amenorrhea can be permanent. "

Last edited:
Yes, all of that, thank you. It used to be called the female athlete triad, but the name has been changed to acknowledge that males can suffer from many elements as well.

I hate to look at a person and make assumptions about their nutrition or health, but these issues are so common in gymnastics that it’s also hard to ignore the possibility.

Likely you took multiple big deductions for several of her mistakes when only one needs to be given. An E-score differential of 1.3 doesn’t happen out of nowhere.
Score it yourself before you make conclusions.

Although I’m sure you’ll magically arrive at a 4.2.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back