2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

View attachment 1938

I think it was a simple case of getting lost in the air. Then freaking out and having self doubt. And then getting scared and not wanting to hurt yourself.

All very natural. And there’s no way Marta would have allowed it.
For argument’s sake… are you saying that Martha would somehow have succeeded in getting Simone to compete today (if so, is that a good or a bad thing?)…or simply that Martha would have blackballed her forever had Simone refused to compete (undoubtedly true)?

Marta would’ve been leverage-less, if Simone really didn’t want to.

Simone has qualified to 5 finals, the federation can’t withdraw her and she’s not expressed any intention of continuing. If ever there were a situation where someone might have been able to tell Marta to fuck off if they’d wanted to, this is it.

Sorry - this is wrong. Why would she need to do a second vault in team final to get into AA final - AA is sorted out in qualifications, not team final.

For argument’s sake… are you saying that Martha would somehow have succeeded in getting Simone to compete today (if so, is that a good or a bad thing?)…or simply that Martha would have blackballed her forever had Simone refused to compete (undoubtedly true)?
Simone wouldn’t have felt strong enough to ask.

Sorry - this is wrong. Why would she need to do a second vault in team final to get into AA final - AA is sorted out in qualifications, not team final.
We are talking about 1996. The team final contributed towards AA qualification in those days.

We are talking about 1996. The team final contributed towards AA qualification in those days.
93-96 code question: in Comp 1B(TF), the highest vault score counted but did gymnasts actually have to compete their 2nd vault? (to save themselves from injury or something like that?)

Truly wish Simone was feeling her best and ROC had hit beam. Would have been a battle. I hate all these what ifs and asterisks and should have would haves
So - if you remove (1) Simone’s vault; (2) Jordan’s bars and beam; and (3) Suni’s floor …

Simone would have needed a 58.463 to TIE Russia.

Now THAT would have been a nail biting floor routine for Simone.

Based on her PT routines, Gymnaverse panel gave her 60.150.

Her prelims score was 58.031 (Gymnaverse had 58 dead, which gives credibility to the reliability of that 60.150 from PT).

The storyline from today could have EASILY been Jordan throwing away the gold on floor.

Last edited:
Simone wouldn’t have felt strong enough to ask.
The twisties convo is in like three different threads and I’m genuinely trying to follow…

So let’s say Martha makes Simone compete. What do you think happens next? Does she do fine? Wipe out? Balk? Any of the above?

I can buy that the twisties in and of themselves aren’t a mental health issue, but what happens if you’re forced to compete through them?

I’m not trying to fish for the obvious answer here. While I do think athlete welfare comes first regardless of the reason, I’m also trying to understand this from a gymnastics point of view.

Last edited:
Agreed. Also, if any of you follow hockey you will be very well versed in the intentionally vague language that almost every player and team uses “lower body injury” “minor injury” etc. You hardly ever find out exactly what is going on with these men who are being paid a ton of money to perform on the ice.

Last edited:
I mean, you know how long it took before it was revealed Henrik Lundqvist had a heart condition that necessitated surgery?

Same. Im trying to talk myself out of it and remember her improvement but i think she fell four times in eight events. Frustrating because she was so great on beam and bars when it mattered.

Dympie isn’t a troll but she can be unhinged and volatile. And back in the gym world days she threatened to sue me for saying so!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back