2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

According to Missy, it can take months to overcome. Beginning to think AA and event finals may be out of the question.
It can also take a good nights sleep and a new day.

Twisties are weird.

Sometimes a little tweak to a skill can fix it too.

I used to often get blocks over a straight front - I’d always want to twist it. Sometimes I’d even end up twisting left and then right again, mid-air. I found that doing a 1/2 turn prior to the skill meant I could do it without the block.

I don’t know if that’s possible on vault. She could win the AA with a DTY if it’s just vault that’s freaking her out.

I wonder if doing the Cheng might have not let any of this happen.

I wonder if doing the Cheng might have not let any of this happen.
This is the first time in a while she’s done the Amanar outside of VT finals right? Which makes you wonder if she’s been having trouble with the Cheng hence today’s decision. Or if qualifications just made her think the Amanar would be a better choice.

I keep rewatching today’s vault, still can’t believe it

The situation honestly reminds me a lot of 2013 Classics. She pulled her shit together in 2 weeks (obviously a much shorter turnaround this time). No idea what happened then, but at least we know she has done something in the vicinity once before?

I’ve been trying to find words all day- that properly reflect how proud I am of those women for stepping up, and also of Simone for knowing when things are dangerous. That woman is doing tricks that are undervalued to discourage others from doing them. Like literally- a broken neck could happen. I support her now and always.

Made fatal error of being on Twitter all day- honestly, never again. For a second, I was reading all of these narratives about Simone letting her team down, walking away, etc, and for the teeniest of seconds, I thought- my God, if she competes individually- she’ll be crucified. That was my first thought. Four year fans and couch coaches are already saying she should be banned etc from her individual events. My true belief- honestly, is that she cannot bear the burden of being USAG anymore. I’m not sure if she will be able to compete again. I hope she does. Not for us, for USA, or anyone else on the planet but herself. Then I hope she literally does a Gabby Douglas, throws her phone away, and isn’t seen until she feels better. If she does compete- there’s a chance she will win. A good chance of four gold medals. I’m am scared if that happens, that she will be persecuted forever by people who should really just stay quiet if they have nothing nice to say.

Takeaway from the press conference- when Suni was asked about the bars final with Nina- I really noticed how Simone stepped in and (paraphrasing) talked about not pitting them against each other etc- I think all the BS on social media re team selection, individuals competing for the same medals, and just downright nasty narratives have played a huge part in all of this. Social media is a dangerous tool- especially in the hands of trolls.

Meh- I don’t want this to be her end. This isn’t Asac 08. I don’t think Simone can keep competing for USAG- her “redemption” is harder to get. I want her to be happy. And if that means walking away, mic drop, and see ya later, I hope to make peace with that by 2028.

It made sense in Rio since she only started doing the Cheng that same year, but since her comeback the Cheng has always been the primary vault right?

Someone made a post on Twitter (or some other social media) about how Kerri Strug is rolling over in her grave after Simone withdrawing today. It was very stupid.
If we must envision people rolling over in their graves, may I humbly invoke Elena Mukhina or Julissa Gomez.

Mad respect to Simone for recognizing that she wasn’t in the right headspace to compete safely.

I think it was a simple case of getting lost in the air. Then freaking out and having self doubt. And then getting scared and not wanting to hurt yourself.

All very natural. And there’s no way Marta would have allowed it.

Even though it’s not gold, they still got an Olympic medal. That’s worth being all smiles. Plus, they had the test of their careers and passed with flying colors.

Every time I like somebody’s comment, I get a pop-up saying I’m doing that too much, try again in 18883 seconds. And that number is not an exaggeration.

Last edited:
I hope I can see tonight’s prime-time tomorrow after MAG. It will be on too late since I have to get up at 4 am.

Myk’s fanbase is a large reason why I don’t like her. Which is totally unfair but it is what it is:

It’s the Yurchenko stoicism I get from her–and the combo of elegance, power, and general childlike-nature of Listunova that reminds me of Mostepanova

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back