2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder how prepared the team was for Simone not competing her last three. There wasn’t a whole lot of shock.

It makes me wonder if they all went in knowing that there was a good chance that Simone might exit after vault - like they figured she had to be good for at least a few tenths over Suni on vault, but warmups were a nightmare and they knew she might not be able to continue, or something.

It’s more likely than not that things were wrong in the warm up hall too, it didn’t just materialize in one touch out of nowhere.

Although I also saw someone authoritative (Laurie?) say that Jordan hadn’t warmed up bars at all, so I very much doubt anyone was quite expecting this.

That’s just basic PR. However the fact that she’ll post things like this, but her family will post things like Jonas did and she’ll like the comments agreeing with that sentiment says her words mean nothing.

I think I finally feel too old for the would coulda shoulda stuff, at least the outrage.

Last edited:
For the what if-ers out there. Obviously we don’t know what would have really happened but:

If Simone scratched before the meet and they put Jade in. Assuming Jade replaces Biles on vault, Chiles on bars, sits beam and replaces Suni on floor the US total would have been 167.897 which would have been 1.8 better than what they got but still silver. This is assuming Jade gets what she got in prelims which is no guarantee.

If you want to deeper into the rabbit hole:

If Jade was on the team instead of Grace to begin with and Biles and Jade put up their prelim scores. Assuming Suni sits out vault, Chiles bars, Jade beam and Suni floor then the team gets 170.429 which is 4.333 better than they did today and enough for gold. Obviously a lot of assumptions here but those are the numbers.

yes. It is literally exhausting to play that game. It is what it is. You have to face what is and play the cards you have been handed.

This. If Simone is not mentally in the right place and goes out and tries to compete anyways it could result in further mental or physical injury. So, they have to assess whether going out and competing is safe for her; just like they would with a physical injury.

I really think this whole medical vs mental thing is just someone not hearing the right word. Cecile was talking into her Apple watch right before that was announced - it seems completely plausible that between the watch, the noise, and a French accent, someone just misheard.

Hm. I’m thinking Simone should pull out of UB EFs. She could use the extra rest and take some pressure off her shoulders. People are expecting her to take a gold that is not within her reach without massive mistakes from Suni and the other front runners.

Honestly I’m so tired of all this dissection of what Mykayla did/did not say, like, or retweet. Maybe she’s a shitty person. Maybe she’s not. I don’t really care that much anymore, and I don’t understand why people give her so much of their mental energy.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back