2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

You’re missing my point. I have no opinion on what caused Jordans 11, my point is that she could not be taken off floor in this situation no matter who the fourth gymnast on the team was, so that 11 was counting, and no other score could have made up the difference between the US and Russia at that point.

So we’re supposed to excuse MyKayla’s poor form and basics? Besides vault.

Last edited:
So we’re supposed to excuse MyKayla’s poor form and basics? Besides vault.
To be fair to Skinner, it doesn’t matter when she outscored Grace in the AA.

Grace’s contribution to the team today was an AA score. Skinner’s prelims AA score was higher. Body shape deductions and 7.133E on beam, and all.

I think his opinions and views stem from the fact that he clearly loves and adores his wife and thinks she is literally the greatest thing that ever graced the sport. Which, frankly is like his JOB as the husband. And kind of sweet in a way. Now going on SM and posting crap is not great, pretty stupid, and he needs to just stop, but I do think it comes from being so protective of his wife. And fwiw, he likely has far more inside knowledge of what Skinner endured at that camp than any of us do. I suspect she did not escape the wrath of that place, and that probably adds fuel to his fire. Im not defending his actions, just trying to put them in perspective of where he is coming from.

So…that was a thing. A very very very unexpected thing.

I have a lot (A LOT) of thoughts about Simone generally, how Laurent has handled her, and whatever the fuck happened today. But I’m going to see how things play out over the next few days.

Well what did we just experience? Processing……processing….

Confused Battle Royale GIF by G2 Esports

Luckily I think Simone has way too much class for that.
But man I hope she is ok to vault . I don’t even want her to attempt the double pike if she’s not 100% there mentally and physically. I just want her to come back and have a much better Olympic experience than today. I want her to do what she needs to do, and come back in the all around for herself - and not for others expectations.

Oke so she is entitled to interferance but Simone is not entiltled to privacy
Two completely separate issues. And you see all the good “privacy” is doing her. Just creating exploitative speculation. Full disclosure is generally the best policy in situations like this. Ask any damage control/PR expert.

Luckily I think Simone has way too much class for that.
But man I hope she is ok to vault . I don’t even want her to attempt the double pike if she’s not 100% there mentally and physically. I just want her to come back and have a much better Olympic experience than today. I want her to do what she needs to do, and come back in the all around for herself - and not for others expectations.
Again I fully agree to and adopt what you say.

So, based on what I’m seeing here and there, it sounds like Simone withdrew because she was dealing with emotional/stress issues that caused her to worry about her safety. Sounds like she’s having a tough time in general with the Games this time around. Hopefully she can find a way to finish strong at the very least. It sounds like she’s dealing well with the situation but frankly my head is spinning, I can’t imagine what it’s like to be in her shoes.

I saw someone suggest Evgeny Marchenko to replace Tom. While he wouldn’t take it because he’s coaching Skye, the idea of Valeri’s head exploding did make me laugh.

Reading China fans on Twitter over the last few weeks a lot of them seem to have issues with one of the group coaches who was already there and him constantly breaking athletes. So I don’t know how much is down to Chow and how much isn’t. I don’t know exactly how his position works in comparison to, say, the US NTC but it seems like there are some coaches besides him with a lot of influence.

Getting off the Skinner conversation, I finally got the Listunova hype today the amount of cleaning up she did between Europeans and today is almost like a different gymnast. Same for Melnikova on bars truly impressive. Uzarova on fx was great I think that’s one on the better fx I have seen in Tokyo.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back