2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think USAG (and all of us) were blinded by the idea that Russia would never be able to actually put a program together and that it would be a 5 point stroll to victory, so it would be OK to leave two Chengs and the second best floor routine in the stands.

Personally I thought Grace’s consistency is overstated, and I thought it made more sense to put Myk on the team because of vault. However, as it turns out, the 20/20 hindsight correct decision would have been to put Carey on the team and not take MyKayla at all.

BOSS. FUCKING. MOVE. That would be true queen shit and though I want Simone to get gold, I kind of want her to do this, too.

Oh my gosh YES. We all know most of the board hates Skinner…my goodness.

I can imagine if I were in the stands watching that train wreck unfold, Id wonder what would have been too. For both Skinner AND Jade. Particularly Jade. And honestly, I do hope if Simone can’t safely compete at or near her best, she pulls out. It would, in some cases, give US girls another shot at medals. But ONLY if she can’t safely compete. Simone has more than earned her spot, regardless of today.

I just hope Simone is ok overall. This was shocking. It’s sad for her.

Inside? it shows outside, too. I hope her teammates see what her husband posted and know exactly the wolf in sheep’s clothing they’re dealing with.

Those are literally my exact thoughts. Yes hindsight is 20/20 but I’m really wishing Jade was on the main team. I totally get why that didn’t happen but ughhh.

One must remember that Suni actually replaced Simone on floor.

Jordan would still have given an 11.2 even with a top form Simone on the team.

But of course that’s lost in the USA bad-loser narrative of “the US only lost because Simone withdrew”.

I actually saw it when it happened. I screamed “shit she balked” so loud I woke up my kids. oops.

I actually missed the vault in real time, but thought she just nearly fell on her Amanar during the replay. It was a delayed reaction realizing she only did a 1.5TY.

Only for some… separating the athlete from the person is the most important mental training of any elite sport.

Some struggle with it… others do fine.

Simone spoke to BBC and says she’s dealing with things she’s aiming to get fixed within the next few days. Said yes she’s planning to compete in AA finals.
Sadly I feel like the reaction to her pulling from TFs and returning to compete in AA will be awful :confused:
Video here, hope this is viewable for those outside the UK:

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back