2020 Women's Artistic Team Final (Tuesday, July 27, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Russia absolutely won today - but they had mistakes as well. Mistakes that would have put them under the US qualifying score.
US had mistakes as well. You can’t take the mistakes from Russia and compare that to the US score from prelims. Bottom line is: if everyone was healthy and everyone performed 100%, the US would have won. If not, everything was possible. And the difference between Russia and USA just wasn’t thát big.

I could never do backward twists even though I had the power to do so, so I’m always amazed that anyone can do something simple as a half. Anything more than a double is awe-inspiring.

Last edited:
I wasn’t paying close attention and thought she just did a half and was very confused. LOL.

Yeah, not!Russia really lucked out with Listunova being age eligible. If they had held to 2020 age rules for 2021, who would have been their 4th? Gerasimova? Russia has 3 fantastic (seriously fantastic) AA gymnasts right now (and Valentina was ready to throw Melnikova away!) but basically nothing after that. If it were 4 up, 4 count, they would have been in trouble.

I expect Russia to be winning Worlds next year as a team unless someone major emerges from US or China.

Last edited:
Yeah, not!Russia really lucked out with Listunova being age eligible. If they had held to 2020 age rules for 2021, who would have been their 4th? Gerasimova? Russia has 3 fantastic (seriously fantastic) AA gymnasts right now but basically nothing after that. If it were 4 up, 4 count, they would have been in trouble.
I was curious if any gymnast that was magically eligible this year would factor in… there weren’t a lot of newly eligible that actually made a team though were there?

Brining the age thing up just feels a little salty. Everyone was in the same situation. Covid happened, Olympics got postponed. USA could’ve used a 2005 girl as well. The rules were equal for everyone.

Russia may not have the depth USA has, but as you said, this team is fantastic. Again, everyone healthy and hitting would have USA winning gold. I’m just saying the margin was smaller this time around. And the numbers don’t lie: they win today, with a 3,5 point lead, including two falls. USA had two big mistakes as well, so the difference remains.

Simone is probably capable of adding those 3,5, but it wouldn’t have been a cakewalk. And what’s so bad about that? Isn’t it a good thing that the gap is closing at the moment? No one knows for how long, but for now, it’s good for gymnastics!

This is totally random, but am I the only one who finds that Urazova looks much older than she is? She could pass for 21. She also doesn’t compete like a COVID-new senior (not really counting last year as her first year given the situation). She’s like a veteran already.

40.png
upmysleeve:
Russia absolutely won today - but they had mistakes as well. Mistakes that would have put them under the US qualifying score.
US had mistakes as well. You can’t take the mistakes from Russia and compare that to the US score from prelims. Bottom line is: if everyone was healthy and everyone performed 100%, the US would have won. If not, everything was possible. And the difference between Russia and USA just wasn’t thát big.
We are making the same point, which is that you can’t look at the 3.5 margin of victory and state that Russia had an easy path to victory regardless of Simone. They showed some nerves in TF and if the US had repeated their quals performance (which was in itself nervy), things would be neck and neck, as expected.

As expected, Team Skinner is keeping it classy. These are from her husband.

Wasn’t trying to be salty. They have developed some really talented AA gymnasts and it was lucky that one made the new age rules and was able to shine.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back