2024 Olympic Games: Event Finals Day 1: Aug 3

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Literally one person made one crappy joke. I don't think it's worth making such a big deal about it, and I don't think it shows any specific bias against GB.

By the way, people DID say similar things about France because of the Nemour debacle (specifically around the time of Worlds last year). And it wouldn't be at all surprising to see statements like that about the US (e.g. "I'm tired of the US winning I want Andrade to get gold" -- I haven't seen that here but it wouldn't seem that bad?).
People were making pointed remarks about that situation while France was imploding in QFs.

Just as an aside, I do want Andrade to win gold as an American, but I have a big ol' soft spot for her.

@Caledi Yes, initially it was one person but then other people defended it and the mods did nothing about it. This board supposedly prides itself on being non-political, which is why I was taken aback.

I did see many comments like that on Reddit regarding Team France, which is partly why I totally stopped participating there, now only lurk, and started coming here more. It’s very toxic over there and when we recently (here) had a discussion about the board culture, welcoming newcomers, etc, there was an emphasis on this space being more pleasant and welcoming.

I’m surprised it’s so hard to empathise with why it’s upsetting to see people actively rooting against one gymnast only and saying it’s because of their nationality. Of course that is offputting. I am not nationalistically driven in my gym fandom - none of my favourite gymnasts are British, actually, and I’m happier with Rhys winning gold than I would be with Max! I love it when smaller countries take a medal. But it shouldn’t be this hard to grasp why it feels exclusionary to have people attack one nationality.

Exactly. It’s not funny.

Edit: whatever. If you don’t actually want anyone new to join this board and it’s more important to stay as a clique that just agrees with each other and has nominal rules that are never enforced, well - okay. My bad for believing they were genuine and you did want new members, I guess. Apologies.

Okay, can we open up the next thread for tomorrow so we can start arguing UB? This horse is done.

Why would it be funny?
Because I enjoy poking a little fun at the English. I really think some of you would go into fits if you saw what the Irish say towards the British/English at any sporting event.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this before I saw @rlayt's reply

Because colonists laughing at their colonizers is one of the oldest jokes in history and sports. One day, the Puerto Rican gymnastics team will slay the U.S., and they'll deserve their moment to boast.
If/when they bring back baseball, that's exactly what's going to happen. The USA is going to get it at all sides from the Caribbean nations.

Dropkick Murphys, solid Irish band from County Massachussetts, bit west of Kerry.
I always appreciate a band that can incorporate bagpipes. And it's funny ha-ha and a little funny weird that "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" gets used as background music for Irish anything. I expect it out of Boston/USA as a whole, but France?

If/when they bring back baseball, that's exactly what's going to happen. The USA is going to get it at all sides from the Caribbean nations.
Baseball is back for LA! There was baseball in Tokyo, too, but it was only 6 countries: USA, Japan, Dominican Republic, Israel, Mexico, and South Korea.

World Baseball Classic is way better than Olympic baseball, imo.

Who had Nedoroscik on the podium in their predictions? I definitely did not.
I thought it would be asking for too much and refrained. And clearly I was right not to jinx him and made sure he got the medal by taking the hit myself in the prediction game points.

I thought it would be asking for too much and refrained. And clearly I was right not to jinx him and made sure he got the medal by taking the hit myself in the prediction game points.
A noble sacrifice.

My WAG VT medal podium prediction would have been right on if I went with the predictable results instead of the outside chance Simone would fall on her YDP (wouldn't be the first time).

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back