2024 Olympic Games: WAG All-Around Finals: Thursday, August 1 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It would be cool to see a comprehensive list of all of the firsts and broken records when the competitions are over. I am loving watching all of these fierce women make history.
The gymternet net usually does a list, if I remember I’ll post it here.

Last edited:
Only 1 OOB between the pair of them. I'd have taken that, at the start of this rotation.

Bit sad Simone left out the falling over her feet skill though. That was the highlight of her 2019 worlds set, for me.
And the one OOB was artistic. Rebecca looked like she was dancing out. She made it look nice.

Luckily she never forgot this.

Last edited:
Another Reddit question, but whatever...

Is there no longer an OOB judge with the flag? Is it digital/floor sensors now?
There is a line judge sat with the rest of panel. They still raise a flag for OOB but you have to remember to turn your gaze and look for it on borderline calls. Not sure if they are watching a video feed or getting verdicts from automatic sensors but I would guess the former. When they first used the sensors they were quite obvious on the floor (also a light went on for OOB) and their use was reported on. I’m going to try and sneak my camera in for EF so I’ll try and zoom in to check. Bit difficult to tell from afar with all the bullet time cameras.

After the last couple of years, I might be happiest for Suni here. I teared up during her floor. Her competitiveness here reminded me Mustafina.
I gotta say I agree. I guess I can empathize more with Suni for her health issues. I have OCD which was been a bish most of my life, but even that is not... as physically draining as having a weird, rare physical illness that takes a long time to get diagnosed. I only WISH I could muster up the energy and strength to do gymnstics, I'm impressed if I don't need a nap.

All these medalists had significant life challenges. Imagine if Rebecca’s mom hadn’t worked at a gym or she hadn’t gotten a scholarship. What if Simone hadn’t been adopted. Suni’s kidney diseases might have not resolved enough for her to train.

That John Roethlisberger 😄 He's funny, but sometimes he tries way too hard. I do appreciate when he picks on himself, which is often.

All these medalists had significant life challenges. Imagine if Rebecca’s mom hadn’t worked at a gym or she hadn’t gotten a scholarship. What if Simone hadn’t been adopted. Suni’s kidney diseases might have not resolved enough for her to train.
All the what-ifs can really drive you crazy if you let them, can't they? These ladies all work so hard and are so gifted! But in the end sometimes it comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

I guess it isn't something Simone really likes to talk about because it's pretty uncomfortable to think about--but the what-ifs for an adopted kid are so much more... real than they are for other people. Like, you could still exist, just in a very different setting, with very different resources. Most people don't really have that possibility. Adopted kids do. I was adopted too, so I get it. It's amazing and I have so much respect for adopted parents and kids who make their families so special. But damn... it messes with your head.

I gotta say I agree. I guess I can empathize more with Suni for her health issues. I have OCD which was been a bish most of my life, but even that is not... as physically draining as having a weird, rare physical illness that takes a long time to get diagnosed. I only WISH I could muster up the energy and strength to do gymnstics, I'm impressed if I don't need a nap.
I'm especially inspired by her, too. I'm currently fighting through a potentially life threatening rare illness, and more often than not it feels like I'll never get through it, much less be the person I was before. Watching her has made me feel like maybe the fight is worth it.

All the what-ifs can really drive you crazy if you let them, can't they? These ladies all work so hard and are so gifted! But in the end sometimes it comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

I guess it isn't something Simone really likes to talk about because it's pretty uncomfortable to think about--but the what-ifs for an adopted kid are so much more... real than they are for other people. Like, you could still exist, just in a very different setting, with very different resources. Most people don't really have that possibility. Adopted kids do. I was adopted too, so I get it. It's amazing and I have so much respect for adopted parents and kids who make their families so special. But damn... it messes with your head.
The little girl I tutor had a friend over the other day. My girl happily said, "She's two years older than me, but she's small because her mom did drugs and she's adopted. But that's ok!"
I said, " Ladies, I have someone for you to meet. Someone who had the same challenges and is one of the most amazing people on the planet."
And then I introduced two little girls to Simone doing Simone things.

I'm especially inspired by her, too. I'm currently fighting through a potentially life threatening rare illness, and more often than not it feels like I'll never get through it, much less be the person I was before. Watching her has made me feel like maybe the fight is worth it.
I just want to send you a great big virtual hug.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back