2024 Olympic Games: Event Finals Day 1: Aug 3

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Technically it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Well, that kind of makes my point. United Kingdom of GB and NI, but NI has its own team for the Olympics. Seems a bit like sending one team for continental Canada, and another for Newfoundland.

But again, there are reasons. And I understand better after people's explanations.

Well, that kind of makes my point. United Kingdom of GB and NI, but NI has its own team for the Olympics. Seems a bit like sending one team for continental Canada, and another for Newfoundland.

But again, I'm sure there are reasons. I know that politics is complicated in the region.
Um, it really isn’t. NI doesn’t have its own team. Rhys competes for the Republic of Ireland.

Everyone born in NI is dual national by birth, so they can decide which country to represent. They only compete for NI at competitions where the home nations are split, such as the commonwealth games

No the Republic of Ireland has its own team for the Olympics - NI competes for the GB team unless you opt for Ireland

No the Republic of Ireland has its own team for the Olympics - NI competes for the GB team unless you opt for Ireland
Right, took me a moment, but I just got it completely.

But again, there are reasons. And I understand better after people's explanations.
I think NI has its own team for CWG, but is part of GBR for the Olympics. I think.

Ugh, the US feed went to soccer/football. Had to switch back to the international feed for the podium. You're not making me miss hearing the Irish national anthem for the first time!

And yet I see zero posts saying “I want the French / Germans / Brazilians / Ukrainians to lose to another country just because of their nationality”.
Literally one person made one crappy joke. I don't think it's worth making such a big deal about it, and I don't think it shows any specific bias against GB.

By the way, people DID say similar things about France because of the Nemour debacle (specifically around the time of Worlds last year). And it wouldn't be at all surprising to see statements like that about the US (e.g. "I'm tired of the US winning I want Andrade to get gold" -- I haven't seen that here but it wouldn't seem that bad?).

Last edited by a moderator:
The CWG officials almost didn’t let Rhys compete because he wanted to compete for NI and had previously represented Ireland.

As for the name, I just think Tram GB sounds better than Team UK (or whatever)

I have to appreciate Spencer's liveblog of pommel:

1722702390253.png

The CWG officials almost didn’t let Rhys compete because he wanted to compete for NI and had previously represented Ireland.

As for the name, I just think Tram GB sounds better than Team UK (or whatever)
Yes, that was quite a complicated situation and they were right in that you cannot compete at CWGs if you represent a non commonwealth country

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back