2024 Olympic Games: WAG All-Around Finals: Thursday, August 1 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I'm especially inspired by her, too. I'm currently fighting through a potentially life threatening rare illness, and more often than not it feels like I'll never get through it, much less be the person I was before. Watching her has made me feel like maybe the fight is worth it.
I hope you do not mind my saying this. You do not need to be the person you were before. You need to be the person you are becoming. The fight is worth it and I pray you are surrounded by love and support during this time.

Thinking of you wishfulgoddess. It is worth it and there is no “right way” to get through this because everyone is different. Remember to be gentle and generous with yourself.

Assorted thoughts on some other routines:

I’ll always have a soft spot for Ou Yushan, but I don’t have much hope that she’ll hit in EF. There are some other floor routines I’d rather see again and wish had qualified.

I’d give a heck of a lot for Kinsella to have done that bar routine in TF.

GB came so close to having no beam falls at an Olympics 😮 Aside from that last beam routine, GMF has been a rock this games. Kudos.

Ellie Black is a gem. I hope she keeps going.

I never knew most of the stuff about Andrade's background, childhood, and upbringing. All three just have absolutely mind-blowing stories. It's amazing to watch them flourish. All three went into the comp knowing "this is what I know I can do" and they all did it.

I'm really glad Suni and Simone both got to share that experience with each other. Their journeys have been so uniquely intertwined.

I’m so glad Simone took the gold. It was the one result I wanted to see the most out of these Olympics, and watching her fight hard for it was wonderful.

Re: Voss - on Gymcastic, I heard via some confusing Jessica-ish reporting that she has had Lyme Disease. I’m not sure what’s actually been going on with that because Jessica claims to have Chronic Lyme (which isn’t a genuine medical condition; it’s basically quackery) and so fastened on an elite athlete mentioning Lyme and was very… not normal about it. But whether poor Voss has some chronic issue and has been sucked into the Chronic Lyme scam herself in lieu of better diagnostics and treatment, OR has in fact suffered a genuine Lyme infection and is still recovering afterwards, that could have contributed to lower stamina than usual.
Basic quackery??? https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs-symptoms/chronic-symptoms-and-lyme-disease.html

That the term is over and misused does not mean it is not an actual medical phenomenon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post-treatment persistent symptoms after Lyme Disease are a real phenomenon but they are not the same thing as the medically unexplained entity known as “Chronic Lyme”, which is not accepted by the medical establishment. That is, in fact, what your first link demonstrates.

Post-treatment persistent symptoms after Lyme Disease are a real phenomenon but they are not the same thing as the medically unexplained entity known as “Chronic Lyme”, which is not accepted by the medical establishment. That is, in fact, what your first link demonstrates.
Its not what the first link demonstrates. That, as with long covid, the phenomenon is not yet understood medically or scientifically and causation has not been established (i.e. not clear whether its caused by a microbe or inflammation following infection etc) and that there are issues with terminology does not mean it is "not accepted by the medical establishemnt"

The condition where patients experience prolonged symptoms due to Lyme disease is called Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS) and its cause is currently unknown. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) encourages using this terminology when communicating about prolonged symptoms due to Lyme disease.

CDC discourages use of the term Chronic Lyme Disease because it implies that prolonged symptoms are caused by an ongoing bacterial infection when, in fact, the cause is not currently known.

Regardless of the term used, prolonged symptoms can have devastating effects on a person's life. There is a critical need to better understand the causes of prolonged symptoms in people who have had Lyme disease and best approaches to treatment and care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d give a heck of a lot for Kinsella to have done that bar routine in TF.
Of course, that would've been enough for bronze. Would've completely passed me by if you hadn't mentioned it, I'm still astounded they ended up so close to the medals.

Relatedly, I think that does show the people who initially dismissed GBs medal chances when Jess got injured (me included) were too hasty. If Ondine had been on that team instead of presumably Abi, as it turns out they'd have been very competitive for 3rd.

I congratulate Simone Biles for winning the AA and for being the most decorated USA gymnast EVER !!

Simone Biles ROCKS !!

Rebeca Andrade almost beat Simone Biles. In WAG, the USA had better watch out for Brazil. Brazil is one heluva BIG power in WAG !

Rebeca Andrade ROCKS !!

My congrats also to Sunisa Lee. She did great and also made it to the podium.

These ladies did GREAT !!

José M.

It would be cool to see a comprehensive list of all of the firsts and broken records when the competitions are over. I am loving watching all of these fierce women make history.
The gymternet did do one! Well, two:
WAG and MAG record breakers at Paris 2024

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back