2023 Worlds WAG Qualifications Sub 10 + Paris Qualifiers (Monday 10/02) FRA, CHN

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

There’s gymnasts of all shapes and sizes throughout the provincial teams, and China has had plenty of powerful gymnasts in the past who could vault and tumble.

I would put it more like… WOGA is good at coaching UB but typically have weaker vaulters. Karolyi could get all his gymnasts hitting BB but their UB were lacking. MLT and Kelli Hill could coach strong UB, while Brestyan gymnasts were a mess on UB but could out tumble everyone. Parkettes can’t teach good form but can show everyone how to vault on a broken leg.

None of those gyms were selecting certain types of gymnasts, they got whoever happened to sign up, but their coaching teams had certain strengths and weaknesses. China used to have a few decent VT/FX coaches (Lu, Xiong) but they retired. The current National team staff consists of a surplus of coaches that are great at coaching UB and BB. So they brought in Chow and changed their conditioning program. After his contract ended they brought in Nabieva and Paseka.

What makes the problem worse is a China is just so bad at rehabbing injuries. So you have girls come up who CAN do nice DTYs and then they get injured and you never see it again. That Ou Yushan was able to come back and be as good as she is now after coach Wang broke her is a credit to her provincial coaches.

I think they’re maxed out. +1 for finishing 13th, Schäfer-Betz AA, and potentially Voss on FX.

If Voss doesn’t get floor, could Kevric then win them the continental spot next year?

New Zealand is guaranteed an Olympic qualifier as long as they show up to continental’s. I think that’s a bit unfair to Asia/America.

Yeah, OYS has made an amazing comeback. I had very little hope for her, given the trail of broken gymnasts preceding her.

If the Lu you’re referring to is Lu Shanzhen, he’s not just retired. He expired–heart attack maybe two years ago. RIP.

If I understand all this correctly, yeah. I think Voss is going to get the floor spot though.

Are the continental spots non-nominative?

If I understand all this correctly, yeah. I think Voss is going to get the floor spot though.
Jaouch might get the bars spot…apparently Bacskay is up for vault and Szekely for bars, so if Bacskay gets it, bars would go to Jaouch also from Germany

Ooh I dunno actually. Last time they were nominative for individuals from non qualified teams. I just meant Kevric would be their best chance.

There’s one from Euros I think. I can not remember what injury Zsofia has and if she’ll have a chance to be back by then, but she’s got to be the front runner if so.

Last edited:
We will have to wait and see if Iceland will take that. I don’t think they’ve ever been eligible before.

Seitz, Kevric, Kovacs can’t go for the Euros spot because Germany and Hungary are going to max out their three individual spots now.

Caveat for this post that these are complicated rules and we don’t have any previous examples to go off.

By my interpretation, the Hungary situation depends on whether anyone withdraws from the vault final.

If Bacskay takes part in the final (currently second reserve) she gets the spot.

If not, the tiebreaker is rank in relation to the total number of ranked athletes (smallest ratio)

So I think

Bacskay 11/33 = 0.33
Szekely 15/153 = 0.1 ish

So Szekely would get it.

If Bacskay gets the spot, next in line for bars would be Meolie Jauch, but she can’t get it because Sarah Voss has floor (I’m not actually sure if some order of operations thing applies here, but Voss wins the tiebreak anyway), so next is Ahtziri Sandoval.

Sandoval is also next on vault after Bacskay, so I think she is guaranteed a spot?

Last edited:
Confused Thinking GIF

Also, had Schaffer-Betz not gotten her vault downgraded to pike, Germany would have grabbed the final spot over Korea by .2+

Wow. They were kept out of the Olympics due to an unnecessary downgrade only applied to easier vaults.

Last edited:
FIG have confirmed the list of qualifiers from the AA spots, including Rifda Irfanaluthfi for the host country place. Apparatus spots will presumably be updated after EFs https://www.gymnastics.sport/asset.php?id=fidb_14734

Irfanaluthfi apparently left the arena on a stretcher after a dodgy landing on her final routine (bars). At least she has nine months to get ready for Paris now.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back