2020 Women's Artistic All Around Final (Thursday, July 29, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Didn’t someone win a beam title within the past 9 years with only a double full? There’s no value in doing a hard dismount unless you do it absolutely perfect anymore.

Last edited:
Actually it seems the complaint around most high profile beamers these days is that their dismount is either their only big thing, or it isn’t hard enough.

@anon65539698 Suni used to do a double back, back when her legs were good.

She tumbled the same number of tumbles and similar skills to Gutsu in 92.

Interestingly, in the open ended code era, there’s a massive bias towards gymnasts who excel on bars. Simone is the only AA champ who’s strongest piece was not bars and the 2012 podium was all top bars workers.

I do wonder why we have seen many top contenders do easy dismounts on BB just like the 2018 beam champ yet we have not seen easy dismounts on UB from the top contenders? Any thoughts?

I think this is because UB is still the one event you can create major margins between an exceptionally strong routine and a good routine, especially since the devaluing of the Amanar. Nina Derwael has no business consistently placing 4th-6th AA, but because of her UB score, she gains so much more ground on the others despite having routines that most NCAA teams wouldn’t even consider putting up.

Mustafina’s bars score carried her through the AA in the latter part of her career. 3rd in 2016 with a significant error on BB and lower difficulty for that level.

It is easier to stick a UB dismount plus you can do more reps on them as you’re not punching into them

Tom Forster has apparently made another self-congratulatory FB post after AA about how his strategies have been working all along:

qgzhpk9d6we71.jpg

8ycp0w7d6we71.jpg

Imagine thinking it’s 0.3s on any non-stuck landing and not 0.3-0.5 on dance elements.

This post doesn’t even make sense when I’m sober. It’s like a seventh grade American tween’s diary. “I know, right?”

Last edited:
I love Suni and am so happy she won! Yet, who has won a world or Olympic title since Nadia in the 1976 Montreal Olympics with a double full dismount off beam? That’s 45 years, people! Maybe this is because of her injury?
Based on what we have seen here in Tokyo, it is better to do less difficulty and execute skills perfectly, otherwise you will get heavily deducted. It was a smart decision to ditch her double tuck dismount in favor of the double full. It was also smart of her to remove the double tuck from her floor routine.

Based on Suni’s FX and also Carey’s FX from event finals removing the double L and downgrading the Gogean to split full, I am hoping the entire USA team will revisit and revise their routines moving forward. Is it worth the .1 or .2 when you are going to lose that or more in execution deductions. If the skill is worth .1 but you are losing .2 on it why bother to have it there?

Ugh, just read that Forster post 🤮

There was a point when I thought USAG could be reformed. That point is long gone.

Reactions: Dex
So when he talks about the development program… he’s essentially talking about the work that she did with Valeri.

It is baffling how incompetent this man is.

Actually it seems the complaint around most high profile beamers these days is that their dismount is either their only big thing, or it isn’t hard enough.
That’s because this Code has made D and E dismounts pretty much not worth doing. You might as well do a C (deduction free) or an F (and get the 0.2CV).

Interestingly - Gymnaverse Panel has Grace PT sets coming 5th in the AA Final (behind Listunova and ahead of Murakami).

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back