2020 Women's Artistic All Around Final (Thursday, July 29, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wow yes, I’d totally forgotten about the side passes that quad! I think Ferrari did a routine with 5 proper passes at one point

I just re-watched Suni’s floor, knowing what we know now about the choreo change.

I think it fits PERFECTLY. She hits all the accents on the music. The leg kick to ring pose before the switch ring. GORGEOUS! The perfect change in tempo right when she initiates the triple wolf. And the violins as she’s running into the dmt. Arrghhh it fits so much better than any of the other routines to this music she has shown all season.

And to think they did it all on the fly without even doing a full run through of it. In the Olympic AA final! And she won!! Ok allow me to have my Jessica moment. But I’m SO happy she did this. Not just because we have been screeching at her to remove the double tuck all season, but because this routine will now go down in the ages (like all AA Gold FX routines do) and I’m so glad it was THIS one!

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a six (seven?) pass floor routine in the Beijing quad? I have a vague memory of it being an Asian gymnast (PRK?).

PRK and also Natasha Kelley did 6, IIRC at one point.
DLO, ADF, 2/1 front, whip whip 2 1/2, 2/1 back, double pike

Kelley was another one that was held up in execution in the USA in 2006 then went to Worlds and was judged correctly, leading to way lower scores than domestic scoring. Jana Bieger also got some lower execution scores than at Worlds. Bieger got lucky for that AA silver as both Liukin, Memmel, and Worley were injured. I would argue that Worley was 1st/2nd best AAer in the World in 2006, dependng on Nastia’s health.

In 2007, she began getting scored correctly. Same with Bieger.

Wowsa that was awful. I’ve seen men’s floor routines with better choreography…

The choreography is just absent, really. There was no time or space to attempt anything other than throwing a few shapes. The best part is, she’s not even a particularly strong tumbler.

I love Suni and am so happy she won! Yet, who has won a world or Olympic title since Nadia in the 1976 Montreal Olympics with a double full dismount off beam? That’s 45 years, people! Maybe this is because of her injury?

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back