2020 Women's Artistic All Around Final (Thursday, July 29, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The US is having a very Beijing Olympics. Suni is living the Nastia life (I frankly wouldn’t be shocked if UB EF goes to a tiebreak between her and Nina, either). USAG is once again shocked that another country put together a great team and ended up underperforming in team. Simone is experiencing the Sam life, where a very last minute issue ended up fucking up her whole Games. And Jordan drew the Sac card.

Poignant medal ceremony. So sad there were no ‘crowds going wild’ but I am BEYOND thrilled!! Since Morgan couldn’t be here, this is my dream podium!!! Suni LEE baby GIRL! 2020 Olympic Gold Medal Champion!! First Hmong American medallist in the AA, Rebeca Andrade first Brazilian medal in gymnastics, and Angelina Melnikova continues the tradition of Russian excellence!! Congratulations ladies! 💖💖💖

She is certainly not an awesome Olympic AA champion. I’m delighted for her, of all the girls in the golden documentary she’s the one I warmed to the most. She certainly won’t be known just for bars now, but for me her gymnastics is not that of an Olympic AA champion, it reminds me a lot of Gabby Douglas. Nice, clean gymnastics. Her floor routine is especially underwhelming

Russia do a good job of peaking the long serving, very complete gymnasts for the Olympic AA. Only Khorkina, Komova, Mustafina and Melnikova have medalled in Olympic AA.

AWW! The 3 girls are taking selfies! 😍 Oh my heart, what an All Around final! I thought that beam had decided it and that Suni only had an outside chance at a medal! Like the old saying goes - It ain’t over till it’s over!!

Does Jess Graba have any promising juniors coming through? If not, could he be a contender to replace Tom or some other national team role?

Suni won today because she and her coaches know how to play defense and don’t fall prey to D panel-related hubris. She never lets her mistakes get to her, she knows how to keep a medium mistake to a small deduction (look back to Nationals especially for that), she is able to adjust her composition. No other US gymnast ever says - I need my very best scores today, so I’m going to take out difficulty. No other gymnast I can think of ever can switch between a 3 and 4 pass floor routine and has two very different UB compositions ready to go.

Graba and Carey - just masterful pacing.

No other US gymnast ever says - I need my very best scores today, so I’m going to take out difficulty.
YESS! But this should be a legitimate tactic all along.

Suni was fucking the double tuck at Classics even in a 3 pass routine.

Exactly. I do wonder what’s next for Jess Graba and Brian Carey. I’m not aware of either having particularly top flight juniors in the pipeline although a lot could change with gym hops especially for Jess

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back