2023 World Championship Event Finals Day 1: MAG FX, PH, SR & WAG VT/UB (Saturday 10/07)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Makes you wonder where Downie would have finished - either 3rd or 9th 🤔

Last edited:
That’s a fifth World medal for Shilese Jones, a sentence I never thought I’d be typing just a couple years ago.
6th World medal actually.
team gold
all around silver
bars silver
team gold
all around bronze
bars bronze

and she still has beam and floor where she could take a medal depending.

Makes you wonder where Downie would have finished - either3rd or 9th 🤔
Impossible to say - but I hope she gets well soon. Team GB could really use her as having to count low-mid 13s on ub kills their tf score

However it is worrying how much injury GB has had in the last quad with so much potential sidelined with chronic injury - Ellie, Jen, Claudia, Becca and now Jess - bad luck? or poor management?

I can still do handstands and run half marathons, it is the recovery that takes longer.
Wow, you’re doing much better than me, then. Ever since my work injuries, it’s an accomplishment if I don’t spend my entire off days in bed :crazy_face:. And her I am still with gymnastics items on my wishlist. The delusion on my end is big 😅😅😅

Random thoughts from today:
  1. Everyone is being too reaction with these ideas about “falling on vault should be more”. Simone is an outlier in terms of difficulty, no other gymnast in the past 10 years would prompt this conversation, I don’t think the rules need to be changed because of her doing a previously inconceivably difficulty vault. That said, I am glad that – only thanks to her spotting – she didn’t come away with the gold here.
  2. Adding to the rage about Leanne’s vaulting downgrade. What the actual fuck.
  3. Fuck yeah Rhys and Koi on pommel!!!
  4. Kaylia has the more dynamic uneven bars routine and I think most of us wish it were rewarded in difficulty, but it is hard to reasonably argue against Qiu’s E score given they both had the same D. That said, I read someone saying she had a “super later” pirouette before her dismount, and that’s simply not true, and I’m tired of judges taking excessive angle deductions when they really need to go back to geometry class. Shilese is still underscored on bars yet again – despite that I think her bronze was somehow still correct, maybe silver at best – but her handstands, swing, and flight are superlative and should be recognized as such.

Everyone is being too reaction with these ideas about “falling on vault should be more”. Simone is an outlier in terms of difficulty, no other gymnast in the past 10 years would prompt this conversation, I don’t think the rules need to be changed because of her doing a previously inconceivably difficulty vault.
We have had this convo in the last 11 years though, with Maroney. And Cheng Fei in 2008–the following year, falls were worth .2 more across all events. I think the result is right, but I wouldn’t dislike an additional 0.1 penalty for falling

About Laurent being there for Simone’s YDP…
I am wondering whether there was a precedent during practice where he stepped in to ease a bad crash?
Because I saw him at least twice this year when his gymnast fell off bars, and he just stood there and didn’t even try to catch her (one of them was Joscelyn, during Waterbottle Classic I think).

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back