2023 World Championship Event Finals Day 1: MAG FX, PH, SR & WAG VT/UB (Saturday 10/07)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

FIG Statement on the Vault situation:

Says it was an “administrative error”, but the wording makes it sound like it’s USAG’s fault? But either way that means they’re accepting that an administrative error is now a factor in Olympic qualification.

USAG never should have had to appeal so Leanne could compete because the spot was rightfully hers! Appalling. Good on whoever at USAG had their eye on things and acted swiftly.

The governing body of this sport is a fucking disgrace. These idiots couldn’t organize an office happy hour.

USAG never should have had to appeal so Leanne could compete because the spot was rightfully hers! Appalling. Good on whoever at USAG had their eye on things and acted swiftly.

The governing body of this sport is a fucking disgrace. These idiots couldn’t organize an office happy hour.
The FIG has managed to make USAG look organised and competent. Some feat

Last edited:
Letting 9 people into the final is one thing, although someone obviously messed up somewhere with that one.
But they have to clarify the situation with the Olympic qualifying spots.

I’m (not) confused as to WHERE is the issue and WHO made the error.
The initial list of qualifiers was:
  1. Biles USA
  2. Andrade BRA
  3. Yeo KOR
  4. Gadirova GBR
  5. Moreno MEX
  6. Roberson USA
  7. Miyata JPN
  8. Devillard FRA
R1 Black CAN
Wong USA (2-pered)
R2 Backsay HUN
  • when either Gadirova or Roberson withdraws, Black enters the final
  • if it was due to Gadirova withdrawing then Black enters the final
  • if it was due to Roberson withdrawing then Black goes into the final
If there were two spots open due to two withdrawls - one being a USA athlete, then Wong enters the final as she is now the second USA athlete in rank order.

If she was omitted, the this is ONLY an FIG error, and not a misinterpretation on the part of USAG.

FFS FIG take even a modicum of responsibility when you make a mistake and people might actually look at you as to ACTUALLY having even a modicum of integrity.

EDITED TO ADD - Maybe they will blame Ponor - if they hadn’t had to take time to remove her from the floor of the training hall (where the athlete rep usually does spend time talking with athletes), then they could have actually made a correct list of reserve athletes.

Last edited:
All these people on the thread who are running marathons and doing cartwheels, and I’m here, like, “…yup, in my thirties but need a wheelchair if I’m going to try walking outside the house”. You gymnasts / ex-gymnasts are impressively tough! (I knew there was a reason I always admired gymnasts when I was a kid. 😄 )

We have had this convo in the last 11 years though, with Maroney. And Cheng Fei in 2008–the following year, falls were worth .2 more across all events. I think the result is right, but I wouldn’t dislike an additional 0.1 penalty for falling
Ok, excellent counterpoints lol!
But I think what’s missing here isn’t something to be corrected by judging. We were lucky enough to have a vaulter as strong as Andrade competing to claim the gold. Historically vaulting event finals are just a weaker quality pool to be honest and so there’s not much to do when two of the best vaulters ever don’t have a close rival. Even today it’s kinda nuts that we have gymnasts bringing FTYs to an event final.

The problem is that the official roster for vault had Bacskay listed as 2nd reserve behind Black, because Wong was already 2 per’d in the results. So they were probably looking at the report and not the original one for vault qualifications.

Had Roberson withdrew earlier, then maybe the mistake would have been noticed and fixed sooner.

Last edited:
The only way to prevent this is to put the 2 per country into effect in the list of qualifiers.

I can facilitate a seminar on how to prevent this from repeating again. 🤣
View attachment 9706
100% agreed - just use the results from qualification and let the top eight (2 per fed) make the initail list and then just work down from there taking into account the rank AND the fed.

I think that this will be a huge undertaking by the FIG with a new department with ten employees and some good salaries with lots of meetings around the world with the usual 200 Euro per diem per day.

Last edited:
It seems straightforward what has happened- When Roberson withdraw and Black was called up, Wong should have at that point become first reserve and would have got the call when Gadirova dropped out.

USAG have certainly come a long way in short space of time from when Simone had to tell Cecile to text Lisa Spini to tell Mykayla not to go home yet

Why this is a task a human needs to complete at all is utterly beyond me. It’s about as sensible as running scores with an abacus.
Yes, the Excl sheet should be set up to sort via rank AND fed when coming up with lists for finalist AND reserves.
  • There will be a Help Desk published soon!

Last edited:
Can someone explain where we are now with the Olympic qualifying spots after today’s EF? I’m confused as to how there are so many gymnasts involved now.

Can someone explain where we are now with the Olympic qualifying spots after today’s EF? I’m confused as to how there are so many gymnasts involved now.
Assuming the FIG actually follow their rules now

WAG VT: Csenge Bacskay (Hungary)
UB: Ahtziri Sandoval (Mexico)
BB: Ana Perez (Spain)
FX: Sarah Voss (Germany)

Only VT and UB were impacted by the mess today, so Bacskay qualifies instead of her teammate Zoja Szekely. Sandoval would have qualified anyway but by vault. These should all be set now. (Well, Szekely should take it to court, but otherwise this is done)

MAG PH: Rhys McClenaghan (Ireland)
SR: Eleftherios Petrounias (Greece)

FX is probably Carlos Yulo but won’t be confirmed until after PB where he is a reserve for the final.

Last edited:
I would rather see a few more gymnasts qualify through AA rather than through an event they don’t even have an outside chance of qualifying to an Olympic EF to.
Maybe use a percentage - event qualifier’s score must be a certain percentage of average score of EF qualifiers. If nobody achieves that, spot goes to next AA gymnast in line.

Now see I knew that if I missed EFs today some shit would go down. Simone fell? I’m totally happy that Andrade won!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back