2020 Women's Artistic Qualifications Subdivision 5 (Sunday, July 25, 2021) Teams: GER/BEL/MG 5/ MG 2 (KOR, BRA)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I do wonder if how narrow things were here and Lee outscoring her on Day 2 of Trials will push her to do the YDP in AA finals to improve her cushion

Reactions: MRR
I blame a lot of the hype surrounding her. Simone was never so untouchable; eventually somebody was going to catch up to her and both Suni and Andrade have. The fact that Simone has hit the ceiling on bars and beam, there’s only so much difficulty she can pack in a floor routine, it won’t be a wise decision to do the YDP in AA finals, and she gives away so much in landing deductions and other execution opened up a window.

She’ll still likely win, but it won’t be Simone vs. Herself.

The other issue is her foot. She looked injured at Trials and I’m a little concerned with her throwing the Hail Mary skills outside of EFs. Her 2/2 beam dismount looked a little crunchy in podium training.

Last edited:
I think the US girls are getting out their nerves. If they would have nailed everything in Qualis, they may have been overconfident in TF. This is nothing new, and probably for the best. They still have 2 gymnasts in every final.

Draws for EF

VT

Carey
Moreno
Andrade
Biles
Yeo
Olsen
Melnikova
Akhaimova
I think Carey and Biles are switched… not great draws for Simone except FX where placing 2nd was the best thing she could have done!

I think they, along with Listunova for Russia, are the most significant examples of 2005 borns making a difference.

I thought Russia looked fantastic. It’s great to see the core put together a full meet with confidence. Unpopular opinion, but I am not upset Listunova got two-per’d. I wasn’t sure if I’d rather have Listunova or Gelya out; I just knew I wanted Urazova in for AA finals above all else, and at least 1 but ideally 2-3 EFs.

The US was problematic, nervy, and sloppy most of the time, and I expect them to be rattled after finishing second in team. However, practically speaking, they also got done exactly what they needed to for individual finals: Biles and Lee go into AA finals top 3, Carey and Biles were both top 3 on vault and floor, Lee was top 3 on bars and beam, and Simone is also in bars and beam finals.

That’s as good as EFs were likely ever going to be for USA, barring an unlikely McCusker spree or the mythical McCallum/Hurd 6.7 sets.

Would you use chiles to do aa at TF. She has been steady all year round.

We’d have to see how training goes. Her “fall” on UB seemed pretty flukey but the BB is a no-go for me unless she downgrades her dismount. I’d work with McCallum on her backup plan jump series and use her. Jordan on FX and VT and sit Suni.

VT: McCallum, Chiles, Biles
UB: McCallum, Biles, Lee
BB: McCallum, Lee, Biles
FX: McCallum, Chiles, Biles

Is how I’d do it.

It’s hard to make a call without knowing what’s going on behind the scenes and what mental impact today had. Jordan must be disappointed, but otoh she could’ve hit out of the park and still ended up making no finals and not top 3 on bars. It’s really only beam where she’s definitely lost something.

She has to do vault obviously. I would also want to use her on floor: it was a good routine today, top 3 on the team and the number of landings Lee has to do should be minimised. So VT/FX seems a no brainer to me. The issue will be the other two events. I don’t think they can risk using her on beam after that, but bars might be ok. It did seem, as makam says, a fluke.

I can’t quickly find the gymnaverse judging spreadsheet but is Chiles “usual” UB score higher than what Grace got?

Last edited:
We usually give Chiles a low 14 on bars, maybe low-mid or mid if she’s really on.

What’s killing Grace on bars more than the usual baggage is that ever since her growth spurt and injury (I don’t know the exact reason), her casts have become absolute ass, including and especially the cast 1/2. As a result, the panel’s been hesitant to let her go much above 8.000, and I think somebody has refused to go above 8 all year for her bars. Chiles is probably a better option unless further training reveals there’s a consistency problem brewing.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you. I kept thinking Carey had qualified first on vault because of Simone’s OOB.

I still dont Get why in the world brazilian coaches have chosen a 6,0 ub for rebeca. I mean she has a confident 6,5 routine and in the last rotation she had guaranteed her qualification. She could even sneak in ub ef.

I didn’t see it all live- did she go for the 6.5 and miss something? Or just performed a slightly lower routine?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back