2020 Women's Artistic Qualifications Subdivision 3 (Sunday, July 25, 2021) Teams: USA/NED/ MG 1/ MG 8 (Danusia, Iordache, AUS)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Anything!
The pressure of having 4 members vs 2 individuals, the 4 person team had extra pressure competing for a team total but also trying to fend off the two individuals. Normally it is 3 athletes competing the AA in qualifying, here there were 6.

Individuals had the freedom of competing without worry of making an error for the team. Individuals got to compete at the end of the line up without needing to worry if their score had to count for the team.

The media pressure on the team and specifically Biles.

The lack of audience in a big arena and the general quiet environment.

Having a Covid positive case a few days prior.

The team is not infallible and it was good to get the jitters out in qualifications without any consequences. After all USA is the only team to get 2 gymnasts in the all around and all four events qualified. Russia missed a spot on beam.

They are still dominant and even after all the assorted mistakes they are just 1 point from Russia who had a pretty much flawless meet.

The team is not infallible and it was good to get the jitters out in qualifications without any consequences. After all USA is the only team to get 2 gymnasts in the all around and all four events qualified.
And that would have been a perfect response from Tom. Followed by “thanks folks, its been a long day and I will talk to you all later in the week.”

As opposed to “I’m done” and storming off

Last edited:
I would normally agree. But she was just filmed recently about her social media behavior in 2016 and seemed fully aware she was wrong, yet here she is 5 years later doing it again.
I know. But I am traumatized by what happened last night/this morning (not with MyKayla but with the Team generally and Simone specifically). I just can not be judgmental with any of them right now. She clearly never learned how to control her worst impulses, but I think we need to cut her some slack right now.

She’s 24 and is planning to become a mother after this. She’s not a child. I understand her emotions are high and she’s heartbroken and probably more than a little humiliated, but allowing flying monkeys to attack people in her name, including her teammate, is not a good look at all and will not age well in the future.

She’s 24 and is planning to become a mother after this. She’s not a child. I understand her emotions are high and she’s heartbroken and probably more than a little humiliated, but allowing flying monkeys to attack people in her name, including her teammate, is not a good look at all and will not age well in the future.
I know. I do not look at social media. So I do not know the specific comments. My position is a general one. When people are distraught and traumatized they tend to behave badly and its just a good thing to cut them some slack.

We’re the ones getting up at 3 am and going to McDonalds to watch world championships in china because our house doesn’t have internet, but the people who watch Mykayla’s youtube channel know the most gymnastics ever.

Last edited:
Cutting somebody slack does not mean that their poor behavior has to be tolerated. She can feel all the emotions she needs to feel, but not take it out on others whether by herself or by proxy. She still has a responsibility to say, “Hey, I appreciate everybody’s love and support, but let’s not go after my teammate and instead cheer her on for Team USA”.

Oh my god the Nanning worlds were the worst. I was traveling and sharing a room and had to watch Team Finals in a seedy hotel lounge.

Hard disagree Rich. Maybe I’ll regret posting this in 5 minutes but that was raw emotion after a rougher performance and expectations and hopes were high. “she didn’t get her way”??? Why are you projecting??

She kept to her coach and kept to herself. I can’t believe anyone would be criticizing her reaction after what had to be a devastating day and her career ended disappointingly. She didn’t take it out on the team, was amicable and involved literally a few minutes later. I was actually impressed by her composure, all things considered. Grace is a sweetheart, that’s evident, but mykayla doesn’t need your permission to be less “all emotional” and its insulting you should think she should. “For #ucks sake”. Like come on man

Who called the satellite videos of families watching the gymnasts at home? Get yourself a cookie.

Also, if anybody is on Twitter, Leslie Jones is running commentary and it was one of my favorite things during Rio.

Last edited:
Also, crying after vault because you didn’t get your way was extremely poor sportsmanship.
I think that is really just unfair. People were criticizing Jordyn Wieber after she cried when she missed out on AA in 2012 and i also thought that was terribly unfair. Its human. Its emotion. And dweiss is totally correct – she was not imposing it on the team. She did keep to her coach and herself afterwards.

Also, crying after vault because you didn’t get your way was extremely poor sportsmanship. It was also detrimental to the team since she was being all emotional and it could have effected the others. McCallum freaking consoled her and then had to lead off bars for fucks sake!
You are getting ridiculous with this now.

They should use the cameras to show max height and the distance that Jade and Myk get vs. Simone. It would be very illuminating to a lot of fans. Put distance pins like they do with shotput and stuff.

I take no issue with her crying in the moment because that’s normal. It’s more of what’s been happening afterward with the stans now going after Jade and Grace. Instead of liking their comments, she needs to call them off. If they don’t stop, she can’t necessarily control that, but at least she said something and made it clear that she doesn’t condone such things.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back