2020 Women's Artistic Qualifications Subdivision 3 (Sunday, July 25, 2021) Teams: USA/NED/ MG 1/ MG 8 (Danusia, Iordache, AUS)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Exactly. We are forgetting what happened to Larissa in Rio.

Going back to 5 member teams won’t solve everything. There was a reason 4+2 was tried and it wasn’t all bad.

But for the pandemic, the All Around World Cups and EF world cups were very successful. They certainly raised their profile.

It was also nice that the top AA qualifiers from non qualified teams got a spot.

When we demand that people learn to control their emotions and reactions for “the team’s sake” we become no better than Marta by prioritizing medals over human beings.

They train and sacrifice almost their entire lives for this one moment. MyKayla is absolutely within in her rights to show emotion after her disappointment. She did it appropriately and composed herself in a timely manner. Jordan Chiles is not only feeling the pressure of her first major international meet, but I’m sure she is dealing with a plethora of complex emotions and probably some embarrassment already with the situation with her mom. She is allowed to have a moment to show emotion. These young women are carrying the weight and expectations of an entire nation on their shoulders and those here that are criticizing them for being human and showing emotion are the very ones that would crack under the same pressure.

It was beautiful to see Grace and Simone comforting their teammates. It was beautiful to see these strong women putting someone else’s needs before their own. It was beautiful to see compassion prioritized over medals. It was beautiful to see women supporting each other. It showed that they are truly a TEAM. This is what we have wanted. We have wanted the athletes and their well being prioritized over results. We have wanted them to be free to express their emotions and feelings. We have detested the robot, keep to yourself, era. And now we have finally got it. We should be celebrating it, not criticizing it. Otherwise it just means that we are hypocrites where emotions and wellbeing of athletes sounds nice, but only if it doesn’t interfere with the gold medals that we have become accustomed to.

I don’t care what color medal these girls end up with. I want my daughter to see that supporting your teammate during a tough moment and being safe and secure enough to express her emotions in the moment are far more important than the result of any routine or competition. Awesome job team USA for once again leading by example and being excellent role models and for showing what the priorities are.

It was beautiful to see Grace and Simone comforting their teammates. It was beautiful to see these strong women putting someone else’s needs before their own.
I do want our Team to win Gold and I do want Simone especially, to win AA and FX and vault Gold. But it was beyond lovely to see their kindness and selflessness when their teammates were in need. And actually it helps the Team to have this level of concern for one another. It makes them a team. It increases their competitiveness. And even if it did not . . . .you are right, its their humanity which is what counts at the end of the day.

I know. And you are totally entitled to it. And entitled to articulate it without being compared to John Geddert or any other 'awful" person.

Youre Welcome GIF by The Office

Exactly the same. I got to watch it today and literally thought…that was it??? The “oh so selfish crying drama”?? People were reaching there.

Im bummed she won’t be vaulting but Im excited for the team as it looks now and just hoping they all do what they can do.

We may not be on the same “side” about the MyKayla discussion but this cracked me up.

Simone Biles - Balance Beam

Acro

1 x G (tucked full-in dismount)
2 x D (aerial, side aerial)
1 x C (layout stepout)

Total Acro DV - 1.8

Dance

1 x E (Mitchell)
3 x D (switch leap 1/2, side straddle jump 1/2, side split jump 1/2 )

Total Dance DV - 1.7

CV / Series Bonus

aerial + split jump + straddle jump (D + B, mixed) = 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

back handspring stepout + layout stepout + layout stepout (B + C + C(0)) = 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + back tuck (C + D + C) = 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

side straddle jump 1/2 + side split jump 1/2 (D + D) = 0.2 CV

back handspring stepout + back handspring to two feet + tucked full-in (B(0) + B + G) = 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 1.2

CR

Dance Series - split jump + straddle jump
Turn - Mitchell
Acro Series with Salto - back handspring stepout + layout stepout + layout sepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - aerial, layout stepout

Total D - 3.5 + 1.2 + 2.0 = 6.7

Downgrades

side straddle jump 1/2 + side split jump 1/2
  • Connection broken by the pause between the two elements
Total D - 3.5 + 1.0 + 2.0 = 6.5

Deductions

Mitchell
  • (balance adjustment / drop of torso) 0.1
aerial + split jump
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
switch leap 1/2 + back pike
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
back pike
  • (insufficient height → limited rise in the center of gravity) 0.1
  • (landing posture) 0.1
side aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (landing posture / chest forward) 0.1
side straddle jump 1/2
  • (lack of precision, torso not fully rotated) 0.1
  • (adjustment / movement of feet) 0.1
side split jump 1/2
  • (body posture - insufficient split → between 0 and 20 degrees, + relaxed feet + undefined arm position) 0.3
tucked full-in
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (multiple steps / large steps on landing) 0.8
Total - 2.2

Artistry
  • (Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
  • (Insufficient variation in rhythm) 0.1
Total E - 7.6

Your post makes no sense. Wieber didn’t know until Aly’s final score was up that she didn’t make finals - so naturally that’s when she immediately broke down and cried. Jordan didn’t just bravely hold it in till the bitter end - she FOUND OUT at the end.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back