2020 Women's Artistic Qualifications Subdivision 2 (Sunday, July 25, 2021) Teams: CHN/GBR/ROC

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

GB made entirely the right decision there, in that case. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And an 0.3 deduction for it in this situation is potentially detrimental to athlete welfare.

Why Gelya had to change her music.

Her floor routine was somewhat stressful because she had to change her music and, as a result, the choreography, only three weeks before the Games due to the issue with securing music rights:

“It affected me mentally because it’s not easy at all – you’re enjoying your floor immensely and then before the Games, the most important competition of your life, half of it is changed. I even cried a bit when I heard the new music, to be honest. But my choreographer and coaches supported me, I had to learn to love and accept the music. I worked really hard on the second part of the routine because three weeks is very little for training floor, especially since the tempo is a bit different there and I changed the turns a bit. So I’m 100% sure my floor is not fully ready, not what I’m capable of. Securing the music rights is necessary for the Olympic Games. We approached the author and he demanded $25,000. Of course, the federation refused to pay that much and we urgently had to find [different] music. We literally took the first thing [we found] online, they just sent it to me and said: “Here is your new floor”. It’s no one’s fault, what happened happened. No one normally has this issue [with music rights], but I ended up having it.”

Full article here.

No daytime coverage of gymnastics. It will be this. Start with Russia and China highlights and then full coverage on USA. Finally last ten minutes they will show clips from 4 and 5. Likely Belgium qualifying and celebrating. Nina Derwael bars, Ellie Black BB. Maybe a clip of MDJDS, Andrade and Saraiva.

Prime time coverage was the worst it’s been since I have been following closely since 1992. Thank god for technology and live stream.

Really. It was like they were watching two totally different Olympics

Well, I will come on record and say I was wrong when I thought GB were a bit daft to prioritise a team medal! (although, to be fair, it was still a bit unexpected)

Last edited:
I don’t think it was a clear cut either/or though. Becky was on the highest scoring team and would have competed the same events as Morgan in TF. Becky on the team would have given two medal opportunities. Now I supported McCallum over Skinner for “better back up” reasons and that decision really paid off in a way none of us expected We were incredibly close to seeing Skinner in TF given how close she and McCallum were at trials and Forsters AA preferences. However GB were in a different situation from the US and I thought they had to go all out to have a medal chance. All out meaning gambling on having a non-AAder as the men did. I also thought that there were things we didn’t know and that Morgan might be close to getting her VT/FX difficulty back. A team medal was always going to rely on mistakes from others, they gambled on it and China obliged while the Brits did their job.

Last edited:
And if the British had repeated their QF performance…it was great that they were able to get it out of their system, realign and pull it together when medals were on the line.

A team medal was always going to rely on mistakes from others, they gambled on it and China obliged while the Brits did their job.
Yes, it’s not as if BG made the choices they did because they knew all along that China would have five falls and hit maybe three of the twelve routines to full potential.

Or… did they?
Schitts Creek Coffee GIF by CBC

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back