US WAG Olympic trials Night 2 (LIVE DISCUSSION)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

So you know when you’re not sure whether you should put something out into the universe lest it come true, or if you should mention it to laugh at it and take away its power?

Well, I opted with the latter. I decided to act like the middle child that I am and “troll” @MRR and our friend Audrey a good 3-4 times with, “what if McCusker bombs day 2 and Skinner gets the +1?”

I know, I know. Flame away.

Last edited:
I know we’ve discussed the Skinner bb E-score on day 2, but did any of the judges posting on here look at her D score? I think she dropped from day 1 6.3 to a 6.0 on day 2 but with all of the connection hesitations and wobbly leg on L-turn I was expecting lower.
I felt that Skinner executed her connections fairly similarly on both days of competition, though it was difficult to be absolutely certain because the video angles were different. My guess would be that these connections were downgraded both days of competition:

side aerial + split jump + straddle jump
  • no connection due to the balance adjustments on the side aerial
full turn with leg at horizontal + full turn
  • pause after first turn on Day 1, and balance check on Day 2
For the switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + back tuck series, the tempo was borderline on both days, so you could take the approach of either crediting and deducting for rhythm of connection, or not credit but not deduct for rhythm of connection. In the case where a full panel of judges is used (separate D and E panels), it is possible Skinner would not receive credit and also receive tempo deductions because the two panels do not communicate with each other. However, typically at U.S. Nationals and Trials a single panel performs both functions, so they would have done one or the other, but not both. It looks like they credited this series on Day 1, but not on Day 2 to arrive at 6.3 and 6.0 (planned D score is 6.6).

Yeah, I was going to say. At 2014 Worlds the international judging panel didn’t hit MyKayla nearly as hard as I thought that they would on her E score, not even on bars and beam. She not only made floor finals at those Worlds, she nearly medalled in that event in spite of her built-in deductions. She also won vault bronze with a one-armed Cheng. It wouldn’t surprise me if at the Olympics - perhaps with a little help from her USA power country leotard - the judges ignore her obvious execution errors ala Aly Raisman.

Last edited:
That’s so sad for Emily. Hopefully, she has a complete recovery.

Speaking of trials injury, did I miss the official word on Skye’s?

E5Ewl3DVkAMbdX_

40.png
Puffin:
I know we’ve discussed the Skinner bb E-score on day 2, but did any of the judges posting on here look at her D score? I think she dropped from day 1 6.3 to a 6.0 on day 2 but with all of the connection hesitations and wobbly leg on L-turn I was expecting lower.
I felt that Skinner executed her connections fairly similarly on both days of competition, though it was difficult to be absolutely certain because the video angles were different. My guess would be that these connections were downgraded both days of competition:

side aerial + split jump + straddle jump
  • no connection due to the balance adjustments on the side aerial
full turn with leg at horizontal + full turn
  • pause after first turn on Day 1, and balance check on Day 2
For the switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + back tuck series, the tempo was borderline on both days, so you could take the approach of either crediting and deducting for rhythm of connection, or not credit but not deduct for rhythm of connection. In the case where a full panel of judges is used (separate D and E panels), it is possible Skinner would not receive credit and also receive tempo deductions because the two panels do not communicate with each other. However, typically at U.S. Nationals and Trials a single panel performs both functions, so they would have done one or the other, but not both. It looks like they credited this series on Day 1, but not on Day 2 to arrive at 6.3 and 6.0 (planned D score is 6.6).
Thank you for the breakdown - very useful

One thing I wondered about is whether there is a deduction for not holding the Candle mount position for a specific length of time? I notice that Skinner drops out of position very quickly compared to other gymnasts - sometimes it looks more like an extended back roll.

Sooooooo

Apparently, a USAG judge posted this NOT SO cryptic dig at Riley.

Which maggie haney then liked:

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back