US WAG Olympic trials Night 2 (LIVE DISCUSSION)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If she is planning to adjust the vaults, she’ll need to make sure they’re consistent. If she attempts an Amanar that is under-twisted, she’ll not not only (and most importantly) run the risk of injury but also hurt her E-Score on the Baitova - and then the Tsuk-720° will get the -2.0 for the second VT having the same second flight phase.

I don’t recall a U.S. Olympic team with so many question marks surrounding skills and D-scores they’ll be performing. Chiles with her vaults, Carey with the Cheng, triple-double and general composition on floor, Lee with the DLO (warmed up night 2 of Trials, per @rue_des_plantes), McCallum on just about event, and Biles with which comp she’ll attempt the Y2P. Skinner could always throw in a Bhardwaj for fun.

I understand Chiles pushing her ceiling on vault, and a prelims Amanar might be a worthy gamble, but it’s also a vault she hits approximately once a competition season. For all her strides, she’s not the second ranked U.S. gymnast in the AA or any event except maybe floor, and that fluctuates by day. Maybe she’s further long on both vaults than we realize, but it’s a waste of time for the U.S. if she isn’t, and Biles/Carey/Skinner would be capable of a sweep if not for 2PC.

Last edited:
Jordan upgrading vault makes sense. She is a bit of a long shot for AA finals. She could be top eight on floor but might get two-per countried and a vault fall won’t change her chances on floor.

Now she better not get injured trying to upgrade.

I wish Jade had recent feedback on her planned floor composition but I think she should go for the triple-double in prelims. A named skill might be the only mark she makes on the Olympics if MyKayla sticks those vaults.

I wish Jade had recent feedback on her planned floor composition but I think she should go for the triple-double in prelims. A named skill might be the only mark she makes on the Olympics if MyKayla sticks those vaults.
Jade is in a tough position… the US starts on FX so if she tries the triple double and hurts her ankle, she’s screwed for the next event of vault

Yes, Suni definitely warmed up a DLO on night 2, and it was one of the better ones I’ve seen from her. It wasn’t touch, because most people were looking at bars when she did it, and her touch warmup would have only coincided with vault. I’m guessing McCusker was warming up on bars then before the meet, slight possibility of Skinner (Bhardwaj Patrol) or Wong.

I am not sure whether DLO may have been a fallback for the Silivas, or if they are doing it on podium once in awhile in case they feel like adding it back in for Tokyo. Maybe they felt threatened in the AA or FX after getting busted there on night 1? Who knows.

They have to have a female coach on the floor, don’t they? (or was that just a USAG rule?)
If that’s still the case, I suppose they’d have to have at least 2 present (in case two gymnasts are in different rotations for AA, or I guess, if one coach is out with covid or something)
Cecile would probably count if there’s nobody else.

I mean I get that the similar flight phase rule, however stupid, prevents the DTT from happening, but if it is ready, she should have unveiled it at Trials. It’s not like 2nd vaults were getting ranked.

I think she is in many ways a superior vaulter to Carey and obviously Skinner, it would be great if she could 2per them out.

Also, hard pass on all of these gymnasts waiting until the Olympics to unveil upgrades for the first time. We’ve seen Russia do this so many times to only land on their ass. There’s a reason Martha discouraged it.

Last edited:
I think they only have to have one female official team coach for the Team competition, with the second coach being male or female. For the AA and the event finals, a gymnast’s personal coach can be with her (regardless of if they are female/male).

Last edited:
Also, hard pass on all of these gymnasts waiting until the Olympics to unveil upgrades for the first time. We’ve seen Russia do this so many times to only land on their ass. There’s a reason Martha discouraged it.
Ha - we were all laughing at Melnikova the other week when she was talking of changing her bb routine … but here we have the US team where not one gymnast has fixed all of their routines just 3 weeks out …

Simone - most understandable -has not decided if/when to do the YDP and she has different bb dismount options
Suni - may change floor passes
Jordan - may upgrade vt
Grace - may be changing ub and/or bb to improve consistency
Jade - perhaps a floor upgrade, does she have a Cheng, does she have a second vt
Mykayla - perhaps upgrade ub with a Bhardwej and floor by replacing the 2,5 full with a triple full
(I may have missed some here)

It is a bit concerning that Tom is allowing these late changes - this should be the time working on polishing and consistency not working on upgrades

If MyKayla’s or Jade’s upgrades don’t pan out it has almost zero impact on the team. I wouldn’t expect both of them to mess up vault in prelims. I’m kind of counting Jade out on floor at this point so she may as well try to get a skill named.

As long as Suni doesn’t get reinjued training floor, I think she is fine to upgrade. She is probably going back to stuff she has competed in the past. (I would rather she didn’t stress her ankles but she is the reigning world silver medalist so I understand wanting to try for floor finals.)

I don’t really trust Jordan’s vault upgrade in team final, but if it doesn’t pan out in prelims she is just risking qualifying to AA finals. She can do a DTY in team finals.

Grace upgrading is the only one that makes me nervous. Hopefully her coach will have her focus on just perfecting the existing routines.

Is a DTT going to stand up to a Cheng realistically? I feel like that’s one of the reasons Jade spent so much time changing to a Cheng even though she had an incredible DTT (obviously also was a safer bet if she needed to drop the Amanar to a yurchenko df). It’s only valued at 5.6, no? And judges never differentiate E scores enough on vault as it is.

Chiles 5.8/5.6 (if Amanar/DTT)
Carey/Skinner 5.8/6.0

So a difference of .4, but that could be potentially made up in execution if the DTT is as clean as her DTY.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back