2024 US Nationals WAG Day 2 Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I ALWAYS wonder how Meng Fei would have done on the 1996 Atlanta Team if she hadn't gotten injured and, who she would have replaced.

Given her gorgeous Pike 1/2 out vault (made 1995 World Vault finals), her high 9.7/low 9.8 potential on Bars (from 1995), great beam work, and great FX work (Lovvve her 1997 Floor routine and skills) ... I wonder if she'd have made All-Around or an Event Final.

Thoughts???

I ALWAYS wonder how Meng Fei would have done on the 1996 Atlanta Team if she hadn't gotten injured and, who she would have replaced.

Given her gorgeous Pike 1/2 out vault (made 1995 World Vault finals), her high 9.7/low 9.8 potential on Bars (from 1995), great beam work, and great FX work (Lovvve her 1997 Floor routine and skills) ... I wonder if she'd have made All-Around or an Event Final.

Thoughts???
There was certainly room in beam finals, especially after Mo Huilan, Liu Xuan, and Kui YuanYuan took themselves out. I can't believe how strong that beam team was vs. how they performed.

Wild how Mo messed up her beam routine, and yes, Liu (amazing beam worker who would WIN in 2000) and Kui (with that apparatus high 9.875 in Team Optionals) could've contended for the Gold.

If I were to guess, Bi Wenjing ... if only because Meng Fei had higher score potential on Vault, Beam and FX (not to mention great Bars) and had more international experience, as well. Mao Yanling and Qiao Ya were solid veteran all-arounders with Bars/Beam event finals "potential", so I don't think they'd be left off.

Last edited:
No and Yes.

Meng Fei didn't have a second vault really, so she opted to vault a Tsuk Layout.

It was devalued to a pike and given a 0 because you couldn't do the compulsory vault in optionals, AA, or EF.

If I were to guess, Bi Wenjing ... if only because Meng Fei had higher score potential on Vault, Beam and FX (not to mention great Bars) and had more international experience, as well. Mao Yanling and Qiao Ya were solid veteran all-arounders with Bars/Beam event finals "potential", so I don't think they'd be left off.
Interesting.

I had been thinking either Qiao Ya or Mao Yanling, because they were both fairly unspectacular AAers. In an ideal world, you wouldn't be counting many of their scores. But it's true, Bi Wenjing wasn't much use on anything other than bars. I know they ended up counting her beam optionals score, but that should never have happened. And China did have Mo Huilan as a bars medal contender too.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back