US WAG Olympic trials Night 2 (LIVE DISCUSSION)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Do you know if the 4 person teams are supposed to use an individual plus one sub rather than an alternate if someone gets injured before quals?
I don’t think they have to go through their + athletes as long as credentials can still be issued. The reason the + athletes can sub in right before the competition is because they already have credentials. So if Grace reinjures her hand 3 days before TQ, Leanne can sub in. Or they can promote Skinner to the team and sub Leanne into the +1 spot.

At what point before your team starts TQ that you can no longer sub one of the + athletes, I don’t know 1minute, 1 hour, 10 hours?

Last edited:
Right, but I was using the 2008 example to apply to 2020ne. As in, if a main team member went down right up to qualifications, they could still be subbed in, and Peszek was injured just before the team marched out.

😭 😭 Argh that was so sad to read! It must be crushing to have been through so much and just miss out. I’m sure Riley isn’t the first to experience something like that, but that’s the first time I’ve seen someone articulate the experience so clearly.

Simone says they haven’t come up with a name yet for the team, but they plan to. Massive yuck from me. These names feel so forced. Besides, a name should be bestowed by others. And, it should be organic. You shouldn’t pick a name because “oh, no, we need to come up with something!” It should naturally arise.

For instance, maybe gymnaverse could come up with one. The team should win no matter who is on it as long as Simone is there. She’s the GOAT, right? How about The GOAT Herd? Too silly? Yes. But, it will probably be better than anything they come up with. If the past is any indication, they will make it alliterative. Super Six, Superb Six, Stupendous Six, etc. How about The Stick It! Six?

With the (approximate) month before the Olympics, does anyone think Grace could get her intarsia back? Not to medal but to maybe give Simone a break during TF?

Personally I think it is more about Tom not really thinking in strategic terms, it’s the easy decision to go by AA standings (and he doesn’t seem to like making big decisions that he might get criticized for :roll_eyes: ) …
See I disagree. I think there was high degree of critical thinking occurring but not all of it is politically correct to say. Bottom line is that the final team spot came down to McCallum, Wong, and Skinner.

Using Skinner in prelims is risky because of her built in deductions and the fact that it seems like she could peel off the bars and fall off the beam at any time. She is a hot mess on everything but vault. Tom could reasonably assume that the international judges, which she hasn’t seen in 5+ years, could hammer her much more than the domestic judges. Given this, I classify her as a one event gymnast.
That matters because if you have an athlete go down you don’t want to only have a one event gymnast to turn to. There are numerous examples of athletes getting injured/sick at or just prior to competition (Postell, Pezeck, Memmel, Asac, Maroney, to name a few). Tom, of course, can’t say all of this publically.

I think for all these reasons, Skinner is out for the four person team. A reasonable case can be for McCallum or Wong, so he picked the highest finisher.

As far as between Riley and Skinner for the +1, I think it came down to who is more likely to win a medal on their speciality. I think Skinner showed amazing vaults and made her case convincingly, especially after Riley fell. To hell with the two per country rule. Skinner is more likely to medal. I always thought it was incredibly risky for Riley to just focus on bars. Maybe that was all she could do, but she had to be more spectacular every meet and she wasn’t.

Super well put, JusticeMom. I agree completely and am inclined to think this was the likely reasoning in the decision-making process. I’d like your post but apparently I’ve exhausted my likes for the day!

40.png
Puffin:
Personally I think it is more about Tom not really thinking in strategic terms, it’s the easy decision to go by AA standings (and he doesn’t seem to like making big decisions that he might get criticized for :roll_eyes: ) …
See I disagree. I think there was high degree of critical thinking occurring but not all of it is politically correct to say. Bottom line is that the final team spot came down to McCallum, Wong, and Skinner.

Using Skinner in prelims is risky because of her built in deductions and the fact that it seems like she could peel off the bars and fall off the beam at any time. She is a hot mess on everything but vault. Tom could reasonably assume that the international judges, which she hasn’t seen in 5+ years, could hammer her much more than the domestic judges. Given this, I classify her as a one event gymnast.
That matters because if you have an athlete go down you don’t want to only have a one event gymnast to turn to. There are numerous examples of athletes getting injured/sick at or just prior to competition (Postell, Pezeck, Memmel, Asac, Maroney, to name a few). Tom, of course, can’t say all of this publically.

I think for all these reasons, Skinner is out for the four person team. A reasonable case can be for McCallum or Wong, so he picked the highest finisher.

As far as between Riley and Skinner for the +1, I think it came down to who is more likely to win a medal on their speciality. I think Skinner showed amazing vaults and made her case convincingly, especially after Riley fell. To hell with the two per country rule. Skinner is more likely to medal. I always thought it was incredibly risky for Riley to just focus on bars. Maybe that was all she could do, but she had to be more spectacular every meet and she wasn’t.
I think you are giving Tom waaaay too much credit. At the press conference he talked about Mykaylas “World class execution”

The fact Mykayla Skinner will compete AA at the OG + win an individual medal is repulsive.
It will be great for her to get judged by international judges. Maybe give the US judges a reality check

Booooo. Is it a name for the 4 or the 6? I hope it’s the 4 so it’s maximum amounts of awkward.
I think it will only be a name for the 4. They could just rip off the 2016 Team’s name and call themselves The Final 4 because there will NEVER be a 4 gymnast Olympic Team again

Watching Simone’s AA programme again, I think they’re gonna nix the triple wolf on floor. That just bled deductions on day 2 and didn’t look comfortable.

The gogean looked better night 2 though.

Looks like D-panel didn’t give it either. She was credited at 6.6 with 0.1 gone for the Biles-stag, so she was missing another tenth. She does the triple wolf with her leg facing the D-panel, so very obvious from their view if it isn’t around.

I agree on the Gogean. From my view in the arena the night 1 wasn’t creditable but night 2 was borderline. Appears they didn’t give it either day.

Last edited:
Before we all rejoice in the trashing of mykaykay by international judges, let me remind you that these routines:

Got the exact same E- score, 8.133. Granted, these might be different times, but I’ll believe it when I see it

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back