US WAG Olympic trials Night 2 (LIVE DISCUSSION)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

No, because FIG isn’t going to be throwing 9.4-9.5 for a DTT/Kas 1/1 in women’s vault finals. They will do that for Yurchenkos, however, and landing a Cheng basically guarantees you a mid- or high-8, or a 9+ if you aren’t embarrassing yourself.

Jade was stuck at 9.133 for hers with only 0.1 in landing in Montreal. While not a great comparison, I can’t see where Chiles not only whips this vault out at the eleventh hour, but also does it 3-4 tenths better than Carey did it and then gets a very similar E-score to what she would have gotten with a DTY.

Last edited:
Very interesting to note - remember how we were all perplexed at Skinner’s Cheng at Classics, and how it got an 8,7 E. An insight into the judges scores:

J1 - 9.2; J2 - 9.2, J3 - 8.5, J4 - 8.4

WTF. I’ve never seen a spread like that on vault.
THIS might show how USAG, for years, may have been using a couple of vault judges to sway the outcomes of major events. We have often see inexplicable scores on vault. This finally shows us HOW the scores came to be. Two judges scored fairly. The other two were killing her, and it looks like it’s on purpose AND in collusion. There should be an investigation.

What I want to know first is who Judges 3 and 4 were…

Last edited:
I wonder if they were all sitting on the side together or if they were placed in different spots, and with social distancing, maybe the other two saw something that the other two did not?

I had this conversation with Matt while live judging. I went for a certain score, but then the replay at another angle showed me deductions I didn’t take at first. Bars was particularly hard for me to judge accurately because of the angles they showed.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 4.46.56 PM

If those are the judges sitting behind the black barrier, I can see how the first two to the left would have a different perspective than the last two on the right.

Also. When I lived scored this I didn’t notice how piked down her Cheng was and that the chest down as far as it was because Skinner pops up so quickly.
Also, the screenshot shows feet apart on the mat.

I scored this a 9.2 originally, but having gone back and rewatched I am more inclined to go with a lower score. Additional .7 off so from 9.2 down to 8.5.
legs apart n landing .1
failure to maintain straight body posture (piked down VT) .3
body posture (chest down) .3

I am not a judging expert but could it be that some judges deducted more for the entry because her hands do not seem to hit the vault at the same time and one arm (the furthest from the camera is bent. She seems to almost hit the vault almost at a horizontal

at 0.05 on this vid

Well those Classics judges certainly got a good talking to.

Her VT scores for the rest of the season:

Nats 1 - 9.3, 9.2, 9.2, 9.3
Nats 2 - 9.3, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3
Trials 1 - 9.3, 9.3, 9.4, 9.1, 9.1
Trials 2 - 9.4, 9.4, 9.4, 9.3, 9.5

Last edited:
Interesting to note, the following high scores were given to people not named Simone:

Classics VT - Chiles (J3 and J4)
Classics VT - Shilese (J1 and J2)
Nats Day 1 VT - Chiles (J3 and J4)
Nats Day 2 VT - Shilese (J2 and J4)
Trials Day 1 VT - Chiles (J1, J2 and J4)
Trials Day 2 VT - Chiles (J1 and J4)

Nats Day 2 VT - Shilese (J3)
Nats Day 2 VT - Chiles (J3 and J4)

For fullness - Simone:
Trials Day 1 VT = 9.7, 9.7, 9.6, 9.8, 9.6
Trials Day 2 VT = 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9.7, 9.7

The highest single non-vault E Score goes to…
  • Simone. Beam. Classics. J1. 8.8
  • Suni. Bars. Nats Day 1. J1. 8.8
  • Riley. Bars. Nats Day 2. J1. 8.8
And the lowest single individual E Score goes to… Morgan Hurd. Beam. Nats Day 1. Judge 4. 4.8.

I’d say no. I don’t think it would be perceived as alt repulsion/staggered hand placement in realtime, and even if it were, all Yurchenkos and any Y 1/2-on with a twisting FLO off are inexplicably exempt from that deduction, per the Code.

It’s ironic, because Skinner’s shit technique Cheng netted a huge score in Nanning TF, and now that she’s fixed the block, the postflight is very anemic and pikey, like she used to do when her ankle was hurt. Her Amanar looked better than it ever has most of Trials weekend, however.

Last edited:
Riley’s individual E scores: “score1”:“7.100”,“score2”:“7.300”,“score3”:“7.100”,“score4”:“7.300”,“score5”:“7.000”

Skinner’s:
“score1”:“7.500”,“score2”:“7.500”,“score3”:“7.200”,“score4”:“8.000”,“score5”:null

I don’t understand why there is no J5 score for MyKayla. To her credit, that is far and away the best bars set I’ve seen her do. Still going to be the messiest of the night, but…
Are you still able to see the individual judges scores? for the 2022 meets?

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back