2024 US Nationals WAG Day 2 Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I watched that ^ and then spent the next hour and a half going back and watching floor routines from pre-2006, before running in between leaps was allowed to count as a series.

Even when the leaps are correct, the contorted prance across the entire floor just looks so sloppy.
Having watched the compilation, I think what stands out the most is imprecise and wild arms. If the arms and upper body carriage were more controlled, the passages would look much tidier, even without changing anything else. The person with the passage around 0:36 has the right idea, as do some others.

What stood out to me is how they're all alike. Sure, sometimes the first element is an L hop full instead of a switch or switch ring ring, and maybe it's a switch full instead of a Gogean, but the leap series has become so boring. This is the WTC's fault. The code rewards just a tiny handful of skills and the dance passage requirement is so restrictive. And it will become even more compulsory-like next quad because of the L hop full downgrade. (Not that I will be sad to see shitty L ops disappear)

Props to Jayla Hang for being slightly different with the wolf hop. And Lexi Zeiss at least made her switch leap slightly interesting--amazing how just turning her head gives the impression of effortless mastery.

I watched that ^ and then spent the next hour and a half going back and watching floor routines from pre-2006, before running in between leaps was allowed to count as a series.

Even when the leaps are correct, the contorted prance across the entire floor just looks so sloppy.
I've had so much trouble judging routines in my head since they started doing that. In my opinion, 99% of leap series are not connected.

I wouldn't mind the leap passage being optional for the few who can utilize it well, but doing a direct leap connection should satisfy the rule, including as a mixed series. Those were so fun.

I love a large flowing pattern when it makes sense in the routine, and isn't just choppy chases, elements that are chucked and not really connected, and a generally ugly procession across the floor.

I love a large flowing pattern when it makes sense in the routine, and isn't just choppy chases, elements that are chucked and not really connected, and a generally ugly procession across the floor.
I'd like to say that I appreciate a large flowing pattern, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

Those leap series are an embarrassment. None of them look floaty or are incorporated into the routines at all. A good choreographer can easily manage to choreograph the transition between the leaps. I expect at least the top contenders to work the code better. It's also inecplicable to me how the leaps are soooo low. But I guess it's a trade off. Learning double double and double layout fulls makes it impossible to work on dance technique.

I wouldn't say it makes it impossible to work on dance technique... I will say that USA Gymnastics has thoroughly deprioritized dance technique over the years. I still remember USAG staff noting at one compulsory clinic that they try to teach young gymnasts "just enough dance to get by" and thinking that was a bad plan.

Watching that compilation makes it so obvious how slow Jade's is.

Also - Skye and that Switch Ring. This is positively Gabby Douglas on beam circa 2012.

1718994317302.png

The coaches rationale in that recent Gymcastic video was to "try" a Gogean because then at least you'll definitely get Split 1/1 credit.

I want to bang my head against the wall.

I think that was about the Switch 1/1, when at Worlds they said Shilese was in danger of the Switch 1/2 getting downgraded.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back