US WAG Olympic trials Night 1 Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

J1 and J2 on floor gave Skinner 8.2’s. The rest of the panel was 7.6, 7.8, 7.9.

Gymnaverse gave 7.2, 7.8, 7.1 so far…

Was J5 on bars also J1 or J2 on floor, by any chance…?

It is one thing if a judge is equally out of range for all competitors but when it is clearly favoring a single gymnast (like that is the only gymnast they are out of range on), that judge needs to be asked to not return for day 2.

Apparently they ran out of judges.

Jessica on Behind the Scenes said they were asking Brevets who had just turned up to watch, to come down on the floor and judge.

Kind of interesting also - if you look at total scores so far across Nationals and Trials, there is only a half tenth between Skinner in 4th and McCallum and 5th.

Okay, I am going to air my one single complaint about DiCello. Her beam dismount is a double tuck and it has been chest way down the last few competitions. For someone with as much tumbling talent as she has, it is always a disappointing end to an otherwise good beam routine.

I see them on the spreadsheet, but where are the individual judges scores published?

Last edited:
Okay, I am going to air my one single complaint about DiCello. Her beam dismount is a double tuck and it has been chest way down the last few competitions. For someone with as much tumbling talent as she has, it is always a disappointing end to an otherwise good beam routine.
It’s like her dismount doesn’t rotate! I half expect her to crash it every single time. No idea how she gets to her feet because she flips so slowly.

Could the fear of Jade being injured (not even nefariously wanting her to be punished for gaining an automatic +1 spot) be the impetus for the Mykayla overscoring? Her vaulting is good, and it’s the most obvious hole I think. And she can medal, even if Jade is vaulting at full difficulty, Skinner could still knock her out of EF’s. If Jade is injured, they have nothing. And I get the “Jordan could have 2 upgraded vaults” and “Grace was training a Cheng” but like, nothing has materialized.

So… maybe they just want to have a reason to guarantee that Vault medal? Put her on the main team, shore up the vault medal spot? Add her boost to the team vault score? Since there is so little difference between the VT/FX scores between McCallum/Wong/Dicello/Skinner scores, just go with the one most likely to safeguard the vault medal? I don’t think it’s particularly likely any of the others will be as shoo-in for a medal, surely Skinner has the edge there??

I am admittedly pro-Skinner for the team at this point (I used to not be), and I gather that is not the “overwhelming opinion” here from this thread. But if you’re only using Skinner for vault, (and I totally get the “I hate her other gymnastics” vibe), but DiCello/McCallum haven’t proved themselves to be THAT much more valuable, except as back up. It’s not like they’re a point or two ahead. And if you’re using back ups, MyKayla still gets the job done to win. There’s just so little else to optimize.

I don’t care if Skinner makes the team or not- no strong feelings either way!
But if we’re building team around Simone and Suni, then you already have gold medal contenders on every single event. So the sensible thing to do would be to send people who can make EFs and contend for a second medal. (either in the team or individual)
Jade already covers VT and FX
If they have someone who is strong on bars and beam (or two people who are strong on one each), it doesn’t matter what the fifth and sixth person can do really. May as well send Skinner as anyone else.

Anyone for a 4th spot last minute prediction? I’m going to bed fairly soon so this is me…going to say Grace. She has a habit of finding her way onto major teams. Kayla for the plus one, though I’d prefer Riley. Then much every other fucker there is going to be an alternate.

I’d say Grace too, although I wouldn’t be shocked with Kayla.
Not sure if Riley with an injury is going to make the +1, but I’d like her to.

Last edited:
I think Jessica said it was COVID reasons so either positive tests or contact tracing self-isolation.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back