US Classic Senior Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She has been underwhelming in competition, and she needs to ctrl + alt + del that ring jump on beam.

This video is why I’m so psyched about Konnor. She has insane potential. And I remember watching a few of her videos back when she was like 4 or whatever on her mom’s(?) YouTube channel at the time.

I don’t think the Amanar looks feasible, but the standing loso + back full is a bullet, her ff + bhs + layout 1/1 is legit, and that Silivas looks good. Not to mention her stunning 2.5 stepout + double pike. Her presentation is still rather immature but her gymnastics is gorgeous.

I was in the arena for 2018 Nats on day 1 for both sessions and in the junior level, the competition between Wong, DiCello, and Lee was truly something to behold. I’d bet money on DiCello being on the Olympic team at this stage

Last edited:
Does that mean they can’t sub in even in the event of injury after 5th July, or do you mean Tom could swap the non-Jade individual around with a named member all he likes until that point but then it has to be an injury?

I do wonder how far Tom is going to stick to the AA thing if he’s faced with someone who can’t do all four events whilst being arguably the best bars worker in the world. If Suni comes to Nationals and Trials and is hitting low 15s throughout, on the one event the US have never won and certainly aren’t going to this time if she isn’t in Tokyo, it becomes a very difficult conversation. My worry is that she attempts to do AA because of what Tom has said and then takes herself out of the running entirely.

And what would a new coordinator do to save the US?

The reign of the Karolyis lasted decades and this bloke has had barely 18 months to take a broken system and turn it into the great USAG of old. Give him a break and see where things go. Unless there are serious concerns about his competency or professionalism, just a little breathing space would probably be welcome.

It’s a very interesting parallel to the Becky debate for GB. Both are UB medal contenders but one is required for a team to have a hope of a team medal whilst the other won’t make much difference to the team final.

In terms of potential McClain is right in the mix, but I’m not optimistic she’s going to pull it together. Maybe the sudden change in her eligibility was too much, too fast. Or maybe she just had a couple of bad days. Either way, I love her but am not holding my breath at this point.

I think I understand what you mean regarding her presentation being immature (floor?) but I was super impressed a couple of years ago with how much polish she had for a young gymnast. Her relevé on beam is amazing, her extension and toe point are great, and her positions are very clean and precise. She’s not the most engaging performer on floor, but her dance is so technically clean (far more than most gymnasts) that I enjoy it regardless.

Last edited:
McClain??

She has done nothing to show that she is ready for the Olympics.
She has yet to compete the AA.
She had a mediocre Winter Cup and two falls on two events at US Classic isn’t good either. Albeit she was ill. She is a strong vaulter but Chiles is also.

IMO the team is Biles, Chiles, McCallum and either Suni or DiCello.
Everyone else is too injured or inconsistent.

This video is why I’m so psyched about Konnor. She has insane potential.
Yes, but…so many juniors have shown so much potential and for whatever reason never successfully make the transition to the senior ranks. McClain has struggled so much so far this year. Even excusing being sick this past weekend, she’s not shown anything that puts her on the Olympic convo, imo. She’s not done AA this year, to the best of our knowledge. She hit 14 on beam once out of 3 attempts. She’s done bars and floor once each, at different comps, and both were a disaster.

Maybe she’ll blow us all out of the water at nationals. I almost hope she does, simply because I hate seeing juniors struggle so much with the transition to senior. But right now, I don’t even have her on the bubble.

I don’t think Tom is competent. He has no understanding of the CoP, letting GAGE make counterproductive, and in Eaker’s case dangerous, upgrades/routine construction decisions. A competent NTC would suggest half of the elites switch to 3 pass FX routines and nix ring positions to avoid getting eaten alive by the E panel. He also didn’t seem to understand the individual qualifying route for Tokyo mid-quad which is kinda his job to know regardless of how needlessly complicated FIG made it. He wasn’t a great coach in the 90s, and he is objectively a mediocre NTC today. There are certainly much better candidates for NTC than him, the question is whether they’re even willing to associate with USAG at this point. There’s not a lot a new NTC would be able to do in one quad to solve the weak junior crop, but replacing Dan Baker as Developmental coach would be a great place to start.

Last edited:
That’s really hopeful re: McCusker. Great news!

It all comes down to who scores top 5 AA at Trials, yes? For that reason, we shouldn’t discount McClain. She has the goods to do it–it’s just a matter of her putting it together, hence why I wouldn’t count her out quite yet.

Reactions: MRR
Sorry I just don’t think either Konnor or Skye Blakey is ready at all for an Olympic team. Even before the pandemic, Konnor wasn’t a beacon of consistency. They were working towards 2024 and honestly it shows. I don’t think what happens at Nationals will change her place in who I think is in the running for the team.

Very good news about Riley.

And what would a new coordinator do to save the US?

The reign of the Karolyis lasted decades and this bloke has had barely 18 months to take a broken system and turn it into the great USAG of old. Give him a break and see where things go. Unless there are serious concerns about his competency or professionalism, just a little breathing space would probably be welcome.
I think there are extreme concerns about his competency

What errors has he made? I thought the general consensus has been that the right teams have gone to the right major competitions. The selection strategy of ‘top x AA’ has looked simplistic but it appears to have produced the right outcome, no? And if we’re thinking about increased falls in competition, it’s not clear that Forrester can be blamed for that. He might not put the fear of God into the competitors like Marta did, but that’s a good thing.

That leaves the Carey situation. I thought that he said if she qualified an individual place she would be ineligible for a team spot? Has that changed? If he’s recanted on that, then yes that is clearly a bad decision.

I guess it’s chicken and egg. The NTC tells the athletes that he will pick the Top AAers, so the best gymnasts all compete AA, so when the NTC picks the Top AAers it looks like the right outcome.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back