US Classic Senior Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’ll play devil’s advocate, but only after declaring that Dan Baker is trash and shouldn’t be in any leadership position regardless.

I’m always down for body shape, DV, and composition trash talk. However, I think cultural changes prevent any kind of strong-armed HPC like Marta ever again. Forster can’t unilaterally change things. All he, the selection committee, and National Staff can do is give recommendations and feedback. There’s a big difference between Marta “making recommendations,” and a B-list technocrat doing so post-Nassar and #metoo. Said feedback likely won’t be implemented if the judges don’t care, which they didn’t in 2019.

There’s not enough good data to say how Forster chooses teams either way, much less with an AA focus, and it’s folderol to act like the process has demonstrably changed when he admitted it hasn’t. Everything fans say is good about “the new process” is the exact same stuff people said about Marta when she first came on. Nonetheless, just like most of Marta’s latter years, the final US team member has been utterly incidental in how they get there and impact the meet. If anything, making the 4th place AAer from camp the alternate in Germany was promising, and Forster confirmed over the weekend it’s not necessarily going to be top 4 AA from Trials.

I would respect him if he blew off the fourth-place AA’er, or even the third if they didn’t fit and it was a fluke or by-default outcome. I think discretion from a committee is appropriate in such wild, unprecedented times.

Thanks! I agree with you. It’s a shame she could miss out on major opportunities because of poor routine construction that hemorrhages her E score (inconsistency doesn’t help her either).

I just watched the video and I don’t think she does. I think she is just to the side of the springboard. The video wasn’t terribly clear. If she did then yes it would be.

She is extremely late with her pirouettes however, and I am not a fan of her feet/toes, she’s also never fully extended in the handstand.

I know you asked about beam and floor, but for bars, Jones needs to focus on cleaning up her dismount sequence.

toe-on 1/2:
  • angle of completion borderline between 0.1 and 0.3
front giant:
  • bent knees, 0.1
  • leg separation, 0.1
double front:
  • flexed feet, 0.1
  • leg separation greater than shoulder width, 0.3
  • step/hop on landing, 0.1
Total Range: - 0.8 - 1.0

Last edited:
I didn’t see that video, that one is better. It’s not a deduction until after you present so she’s ok.

I agree with you, but I wasn’t super concerned because she’s scoring in the mid 8’s when she hits. I personally wish she brought back her piked jaeger and full out dismount!

I’m pretty sure that in the podium training notes she was also connecting the Pac to the Maloney 1/2 which also make a difference to the score .

What was the point of this gym switch again? Christian Gallardo convinced her family she could make it bigtime and do all these upgrades in the right hands, and he was trying to open his own business, Future?

It’s actually a shame because she’s capable of an Amanar, 6-something UB, and 6.0 FX with the right coaches. She’s never averaged a 55 at Championships, though, which pretty much ends any serious team conversation without a corker of a trial showing. I guess we’ll see what happens this summer.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back