Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

China's team selection:

You don't leave 2 big vaults and better Bar/Beam routines at home to get...nothing from Luo Huan and an inconsistent Floor routine from Ou Yushan, who even at her best was bringing barely any tenths over Qiu Qiyuan's more consistent routine this season

Also note how Zhang Yihan has been completely consistent with her Bar routine. Some people were trying to label it as "too risky" just because of the Clear-hip Nabieva, as if she couldn't just take it out and go back to her consistent regular Tkatchev...which is exactly what she did, and Du Siyu could have done the same while bringing a DTY to the party.

China's team selection:

You don't leave 2 big vaults and better Bar/Beam routines at home to get...nothing from Luo Huan and an inconsistent Floor routine from Ou Yushan, who even at her best was bringing barely any tenths over Qiu Qiyuan's more consistent routine this season

Also note how Zhang Yihan has been completely consistent with her Bar routine. Some people were trying to label it as "too risky" just because of the Clear-hip Nabieva, as if she couldn't just take it out and go back to her consistent regular Tkatchev...which is exactly what she did, and Du Siyu could have done the same while bringing a DTY to the party.

😖🥱

Hezly's parents are Henry and Heidy. So wonder if they were going with a rendition of Lesly/Leslie (which is a popular latina name) and changed it to HE instead to mimic their names.
Her siblings are Hanly and Carhelis.

I had several students years ago that were literally named after their parents.
Luismaria was named after her dad Luis and her mom Maria.

There were also children who had their parents exact name...but spelled backwards.
Poor kid was named Legna (Angel spelled backwards)

I had kids with random "silent" letters.

I don’t think it’s uncommon in Latina communities to create brand new names.

Another name I was curious about is Madray Johnson. It’s not name I’ve ever heard before

China's team selection:

And they still wouldn’t have medaled with misses from QQY and ZYQ who were both locked onto the team and always going to be taken. LH did her job and OYS is literally in the floor final. No one ever disagreed about ZYH being picked.

China did not leave two big vaults at home. Only DSY has a big vault. ZQY’s mat scrapping crunch of a rudi is not a big vault.

Yes it’s such a shame they had to count LH’s hit 13.9 on beam instead of a 12 from ZQY again, what were they thinking finishing 6th instead of 7th.

Bringing ZQY and DSY replaces OYS’s FX with absolutely nothing. ZYH still scored a 12.7. QQY still misses bars, ZYQ still misses beam.

This team was 3rd in quals, .2 from 2nd counting a fall. If they hit their routines they would have medaled. They didn’t hit. You don’t solve an inconsistency problem by replacing the person who hit with more inconsistent people.

I’ve said from the very beginning this team would medal if they hit. They proved that in quals. They didn’t hit in the final.

Hezly's parents are Henry and Heidy. So wonder if they were going with a rendition of Lesly/Leslie (which is a popular latina name) and changed it to HE instead to mimic their names.
Her siblings are Hanly and Carhelis.

I had several students years ago that were literally named after their parents.
Luismaria was named after her dad Luis and her mom Maria.

There were also children who had their parents exact name...but spelled backwards.
Poor kid was named Legna (Angel spelled backwards)

I had kids with random "silent" letters.
IIRC, Cuban MAG Manrique Larduet is named after his grandfathers, Manuel and Enrique.

I wouldn’t even classify China’s performance today as a “meltdown.” They were really hampered by their two key routines having major mistakes.

I will never understand what has happened to their vaulting. Even He Kexin had a good DTY in 2008, so I can’t imagine it has anything to do with selecting certain body types. They’re like the UCLA of elite.

I don’t think it’s uncommon in Latina communities to create brand new names.

Another name I was curious about is Madray Johnson. It’s not name I’ve ever heard before
Just guessing, but maybe it's a combo of Mad(eline) and Ray(mond). Or maybe it's a surname, perhaps her mother's or grandmother's maiden name.

Jaycie Phelps' name is a portmanteau of her parents' names, IIRC. It's just a coincidence that she shares a name (with slightly different spelling) with a famous kidnapping victim.

China's problem, which is a problem they've had all quad, is there's no room for error. they must hit bars and beam because their vault is so weak, and their floor only a little better (albeit, they went lights out on floor in qualifying). Today they were 8th on vault and floor. They were 11th on vault in qualifying.

There's just no room for mistakes. That's not a viable strategy.

They counted a fall in qualifications.

They were 3rd in qualifications with mistakes.

While we are on names, are Chinese names always 2 syllables (or 1?) Is there no one with a chinese version of Anastasia or Maximilian?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back