Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If you have peacock, you have to switch to the international feed to watch the medal ceremony, fyi.

Brazil seems very happy with their medals.

Simones vault is the difference maker. It gives her a fall cushion for sure. Andrade might just be okay with getting a silver AA medal, but if there's anywhere the TTY is gonna help her, it's probably the AA final. That would set her up well to take advantage if Simone falters.

I can't see any advantage to doing the TTY in VT EFs if Simone doesn't fall. Maybe even if she does fall it wouldn't matter.

Becky was a huge asset to GB today - she hit the best ub of the meet and held her nerve on beam. I bet GB never thought they would put Becky up on beam in TF

The GB team did a huge job as the last 5 standing to get within 0.2 of bronze.
Honestly, it usually goes well when they do. Becky has a headcase reputation, which is understandable, but she actually has a superb TF hit record that she doesn't tend to get credit for. The last time she fell in a team final was on beam at 2016 Euros, when GB as a collective shat the bed. I'm not sure she's actually missed any other routines in a major team final. It's qualification and EFs where she has the problem!

And practically speaking, that beam set is very cleverly designed. It's never going to bring in a huge number, but it's one she can reliably hit cold. It was the same at Euros.

But it shows that 1. it's going to be just vault that keeps Simone in first and 2. she really does not have that big of a cushion and will still need to be her best. A few too many OOBs and stumbles and she gives away her lead. And she has fallen on the YDP before.

Disagree... she literally just showed today that it's not just vault keeping her in first. Andrade's Cheng scored higher and Simone won by over 3 tenths.

There's really no downside to the YDP though -- her score with a fall should still beat her Cheng score. She went 15.8/14.8 in TQ on those two vaults, and a fall would bring her down by just -0.7 or so, not a full -1.0, cuz that includes her big hop back.

I'm so happy for everyone. No one died, seems like all achilles are intact and other than my crushed hopes for Canada to somehow get there and Ellie Black to have an incredible moment, I'm pretty satisfied with all of it.
Same, haha.

I'm so happy for everyone. No one died, seems like all achilles are intact and other than my crushed hopes for Canada to somehow get there and Ellie Black to have an incredible moment, I'm pretty satisfied with all of it.
Apart from Flavia who is going to have a HUGE black eye tomorrow!!
Flavia.jpg

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back