2024 WAG Qualifications Subdivision 2 (CHN MG 2 GER/Nemour USA ITA) Sunday July 28 5:40 am ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I'm most concerned about Suni's endurance due to her health issues. She has to get through 3 events in TFs, the AA, and then bars and beam. That said, floor is Hezly's diciest event. I think the point of having Hezly on the team is for her to provide backup in case someone gets sick or injured during the competition.
To that end, I hope Hezly herself is ok. Physically and mentally.

I had Hezly only on beam and in place for Chiles before this started, but based on her shaky performance yesterday and Chiles being solid, that was the difference.
The other option was Hezly on bars instead of Biles, but Biles clearly wanted to do the AA since Memmel left that choice up to her.

That’s an awful lot of pressure on Simone, Suni and Jordan.

And tbh, benching a healthy athlete means you got your selection wrong.
I 100% agree, but the alternative is putting Roberson up on 3 events, so I’m glad they fucked this up.

They also chose the team for prelims lineups, not team finals. They do have more coverage on additional events than they would if they had picked for 5-3-3. I’m not sure that is the right way to select this team, but they probably felt like they didn’t want a repeat of Tokyo.

It sucks for Hezly that she is getting McCooled, but it makes the most sense. She has this experience to bring with her into the next quad and hopefully she'll have a lot more to come. 2028 was always meant to be her year to shine anyway!

And either way, she's going home with a bit of hardware.

Going back to qualifications, my sister was catching up and was asking me why Nemour was on her own (she only watches every four years) and called her "our Algerian sis." I completely forgot about the fact that the paternal side of my family descends from Algeria (relatively new information to me) so now I have even more of a reason to root for Nemour.

Lots of illnesses can affect your ability to eat and drink (she says with a raw and swollen throat and swollen lymph nodes). Hopefully it stays with just them and they're both in the mend.
Hopefully Jade feels better soon. My nephew has been sick since Friday (it's Monday now) with a viral... thing that's been causing a fever and a severe sore throat, with.... lacerations, almost, that have been bleeding and keeping him from eating. He's miserable. If what Jade has is even half as bad, then... yikes. She must be a tough cookie.

Crazy how infectious diseases like this can spread so quickly and so far.

Not to sound negative here but it could be worse for Carey. stomach issues are not fun and painful. But, she can still compete. if she tested positive for COVID she would not be able to.
There have been several athletes that have to withdraw due to covid.

Not to sound negative here but it could be worse for Carey. stomach issues are not fun and painful. But, she can still compete. if she tested positive for COVID she would not be able to.
There have been several athletes that have to withdraw due to covid.
Shoot, I thought we were over this. 😔

And swimming is particularly worrisome. The water is chlorinated but the hall where the pool is located is just... germ city. Warm, humid. Microbes of various sorts will find it delicious.

I 100% agree, but the alternative is putting Roberson up on 3 events, so I’m glad they fucked this up.

They also chose the team for prelims lineups, not team finals. They do have more coverage on additional events than they would if they had picked for 5-3-3. I’m not sure that is the right way to select this team, but they probably felt like they didn’t want a repeat of Tokyo.

Yeah but they 'fucked it up' in a way that 95% of the gymternet agreed with by the end of trials. Spot #5 basically became impossible to fill in a meaningful way by the end of trials, but I'd have let Shilese go for day 2 on bars and given it to her pending a good second score on night 2, but understand why that would have been... a dicey move.

I just didn't really expect seeing Hezley's do beam in TF, even though she theoretically is the 3rd best on the team at her best. Beam is beam, and while she occasionally shows legit 14+ potential, that dismount has always been a major built-in deduction.

Yeah but they 'fucked it up' in a way that 95% of the gymternet agreed with by the end of trials. Spot #5 basically became impossible to fill in a meaningful way by the end of trials, but I'd have let Shilese go for day 2 on bars and given it to her pending a good second score on night 2, but understand why that would have been... a dicey move.

I just didn't really expect seeing Hezley's do beam in TF, even though she theoretically is the 3rd best on the team at her best. Beam is beam, and while she occasionally shows legit 14+ potential, that dismount has always been a major built-in deduction.
Agree completely. Yes, they ended up in a situation they couldn’t have imagined, with 3 main contenders injured, but their theory of selecting based on prelims rather than finals was wrong and rendered 5th place meaningless. They should have taken Tiana. Who cares if she had to do bars in prelims? She’d likely be on beam and floor tonight.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back