Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

While we are on names, are Chinese names always 2 syllables (or 1?) Is there no one with a chinese version of Anastasia or Maximilian?
Generally no. My Mandarin tutor told me that the Chinese like to keep their names 2 or 3 characters (vs Japan where it's common that the names are 4 or 5 characters).

While we are on names, are Chinese names always 2 syllables (or 1?) Is there no one with a chinese version of Anastasia or Maximilian?

There are a few gymnasts with 3 character first names. Yang Fanyuwei was just at Asian championships.

China did not leave two big vaults at home. Only DSY has a big vault. ZQY’s mat scrapping crunch of a rudi is not a big vault. Yes it’s such a shame they had to count LH’s hit 13.9 on beam instead of a 12 from ZQY again, what were they thinking
This is completely inaccurate. Zhang Qingying's rudi was a big vault. She proved it at trials, it scored much better than the FTY's they instead had to bring. Her beam was consistent throughout season and had higher scoring potential. You're twisting things by trying to say it's likely she would score a 12. All the data says she was likely to outscore both Luo Huan and Ou Yushan.

Bringing ZQY and DSY replaces OYS’s FX with absolutely nothing.
OYS's floor is replaced by Qiu Qiyuan's, exactly as I said. Qiu was consistently scoring 13.5 this season, she never missed a routine and has great choreography and performance quality.

If they hit their routines they would have medaled. They didn’t hit. You don’t solve an inconsistency problem by replacing the person who hit with more inconsistent people.
There were no "more inconsistent" people. Again, Zhang Qingying had better consistency on Beam (there was literally talk of Luo Huan possibly being pulled from the team last minute b/c of missing routines at the last internal test) and Du Siyu's "inconsistency" on Bars was merely because of trying upgrades, which she could have dialed back exactly as Zhang Yihan did.

If you want to live in the theoretical world where they hit all of their routines, then you also have to give that to other countries, who were not perfect themselves. This team was NOT guaranteed a medal if they simply hit.

It's a strategic mistake to take a team with such a hole on vault when you're not gaining any higher scoring potential elsewhere, and to bring someone like Luo Huan for middle-of-the-road routines without any real upside. They left more than 2 points on the table, without gaining any higher amount of extra consistency. They honestly made their level of consistency worse by taking Ou Yushan.

Last edited:
Lee/Leigh as a middle name seems to be popular with the Pennsyltucky/Appalachia region

This is completely inaccurate. Zhang Qingying's rudi was a big vault. She proved it at trials, it scored much better than the FTY's they instead had to bring. Her beam was consistent throughout season and had higher scoring potential. You're twisting things by trying to say it's likely she would score a 12. All the data says she was likely to outscore both Luo Huan and Ou Yushan.

OYS's floor is replaced by Qiu Qiyuan's, exactly as I said. Qiu was consistently scoring 13.5 this season, she never missed a routine and has great choreography and performance quality.

There were no "more inconsistent" people. Again, Zhang Qingying had better consistency on Beam (there was literally talk of Luo Huan possibly being pulled from the team last minute b/c of missing routines at the last internal test) and Du Siyu's "inconsistency" on Bars was merely because of trying upgrades, which she could have dialed back exactly as Zhang Yihan did.

If you want to live in the theoretical world where they hit all of their routines, then you also have to give that to other countries, who were not perfect themselves. This team was NOT guaranteed a medal if they simply hit.

It's a strategic mistake to take a team with such a hole on vault when you're not gaining any higher scoring potential elsewhere, and to bring someone like Luo Huan for middle-of-the-road routines without any real upside. They left more than 2 points on the table, without gaining any higher amount of extra consistency. They honestly made their level of consistency worse by taking Ou Yushan.
Tl;dr

Well that TF had a a bit of everything.

Heartbreaking for GB. Most would've taken 4th this morning given everything, however a 4th that is so close is gutwrenching. Brazil are clearly the better team, but I'm going to be ruing Evans' Amanar landing, Kinsella's darn bars dismount and Becky's beam D for a long time. I've just seen the video of them thinking they won bronze and it's an awful watch. Great floor rotation and Becky still has some room to improve that excellent bars score. Hopefully they (and me) will be able to be proud of 4th tomorrow.

Anyway I'm so happy for Italy. They almost hit everything in TF, excellent save that one bizarre floor mistake. Great that Ferrari and Asia were to watch and enjoy this with them. Sad that Brazil couldn't match their quals fire, I'm thrilled for them as well but it's bittersweet for now. It's the hope that kills you. Canada should be well chuffed with their performances and ranking, Ellie's beam and floor were awesome and she has the potential for a really big AA score. China gonna China. It was hard to know what to make of them coming in as they could just as easily have been 2nd as 7th. Japan were taking ALL the photos at the end. They have lovely gymnastics and are a team I'd like to see compete more on the WC circuit to help with consistency. Incredible that Romania managed to score exactly the same as qualis. Lovely to see them back. US were the US. I love Lee's beam work and major props to Chiles for the rest of her beam routine.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back