2020 Women's Artistic Qualifications Subdivision 3 (Sunday, July 25, 2021) Teams: USA/NED/ MG 1/ MG 8 (Danusia, Iordache, AUS)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Skinner actually beat McCallum on three events, since McCallum had such a low beam score! This was such a weird meet. Going in who would have thought that Biles, Lee, McCallum, and Skinner would have been the highest scoring team (excluding Jade)?

And for the record, I would have picked McCallum over Skinner too.

Agreed. And keep in mind that despite the favorable scoring Skinner always received from USAG judges, Marta kept her as an alternate after 2014 Worlds. That move seems to be justified here when Skinner gets an E-score in the 7s for a hit routine.

That’s the problem. Without realistic scoring, coaches cannot evaluate the inclusion of particular skills and combinations, ie if it’s regularly causing more execution deductions than it brings in bonus, then you have a rethink.
Not everyone can be Mostepanova, but that isn’t Skinner’s problem, the problem is her beam doesn’t play to her strengths and isn’t clever enough to hide her weaknesses

Though with the kind of person Lisa Spini is, would she have heeded or just allow Skinner and herself think Skinner is being unfairly scored…?

It’s a travesty that an elite gymnast at any level does not know enough of the rules in order to improvise a dance series on beam. That’s something as a coach, you drill into your gymnasts once they start competing at an optional level. There is no such thing as a 100 % reliable series so Plan B and C must be trained.

The US just did not have a very good competition. And they all were, finally, deducted for the numerous small errors on their huge skills.

At least Grace knew to improvise; she just happened to pick the wrong skills. Split jump-straddle would have sufficed for the EGR, and that shouldn’t have been a problem given she already does a Borden.

However, the need for a plan B only came up because plan A was so rickety. Her improvised split jump-sissonne should be her dance series, period, as the sissonne to wolf turn is problematic time and time again. One of her attempts at Nationals was lucky to be credited, and her turn on the final day of Trials nearly cost her a spot in the top 4.

My god! A lot of journalists are idiots. i don’t blame the US team to not do press until after team finals…

What’s worse is that they act like they’re not four year fans.

Here we are on here, burying ourselves over the switch ring positions in a 2018 random World Cup. But no. The MyKayla fan who only just started watching gymnastics when she started her a YouTube channel knows more than us on the code and deductions.

My god! A lot of journalists are idiots. i don’t blame the US team to not do press until after team finals…
I agree completely. Most journalists are total hacks and yes, idiots.

But that doesn’t mean that the savvy way to deal with them is to yell “I’m done” at them and storm off after your team had a MUCH less than ideal showing in Qualifications and everyone is reeling from it.

Last edited:
Tom could have easily done some PR spin there, blamed the lack of recent competition experience/covid affecting training etc, focused on having 2 athletes in every EF and that TF is a new slate etc etc.

Simone with a not so good landing from BB ! Ugh!

Even Biles isnt perfect.

José M.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back