2020 Women's Artistic All Around Final (Thursday, July 29, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

My friends made me turn it off and put on drag race all stars. 😂

My friends made me turn it off and put on drag race all stars
Drag Race Drinking GIF by MOODMAN

Turn off gymnastics ???

I’m just glad that NBC showed all four routines from each of the top four, all of Jade’s routines, and two of Nina’s, which is the most gymnastics they’ve shown so far in one night.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how Melnikova’s UB outscored Urazova’s, per the NBC broadcast. Melnikova was at least 0.3 on the inbar full and the piked jaeger is consistently awkward.
Yes ! I had an 8.1 for Melnikova and an 8.8 for Urazova ! I’m glad I’m not going bonkers.

I was so surprised to see how good Andrade was having been out of the loop myself lately. Wow ! Personality, difficulty, accuracy, style. She actually would have taken the gold if she had stayed in bounds on floor both times. A Brazilian Olympic AA champ was almost a reality. These games are surely turning up surprises. Amazing to see new countries on the podium.

VERY bitter I’d say, judging from the snarky remarks about alleged lack of emotion on Suni’s part when she found out that she was Olympic champion, and the apparent issue with Suni’s beam dismount - which is now allowed by the FIG. Suni was forced to water down a little bit due to her bum ankle, but she’s still a very worthy Olympic champion in spite of the haters. Let them hate. Suni’s the 2020 Olympic champion forever and there’s not a damn thing that the haters can do about it, other than bitch and moan for the next 20 years! 😎

Last edited:
soooo I just finished watching. This was a lovely final. I am a little distraught because I didn’t understand Andrade’s cheng score at all and that left me a sour taste, cause I genuinely think she could have scored a couple of tenths higher there, which is what it came down to. But, I guess the oobs were on her so I can live with that. But all in all it was a great final. I still can’t fully get on the urazova bandwagon, she killed bb today but both the vault and the floor look a little yanked and scrappy in the twists, she’s got a very elegant demeanor but I just can’t, I’m happy for gelya although I do agree fx was an overscore.

I’m sure with some time I will be super happy at andrade’s feat, but it was SO CLOSE today. And she truly is an incredible gymnast in blending power with flexibility, form… if her beam had a little more punch, it’d be incredible. Hopefully this can motivate her to stay around abit?

Some fascinating coaching details in this article: https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/29/suni-lee-adjustments-lead-to-gold-medal-win
For seven months, her coach, Jess Graba, had been trying to convince her to lower the difficulty of her floor routine, reasoning that she could improve her score by nailing the execution on the easier option. Lee, whose bubbly personality belies what Graba called a “tough as nails” personality, was too competitive to make the change. “We were arguing a lot,” Graba said. But as the Olympics progressed, and Lee watched the way the judges were scoring her landings harshly, she began to consider Graba’s suggestion.
On Thursday morning, she drew up new choreography. On Thursday night, she won gold in the individual all-around event. How many times had she practiced the championship-winning floor routine?
“Zero,” said Graba. “Zero.”

Just saw this interview with Melnikova and she seemed to like the cheering! So I’m glad
Screenshot 2021-07-30

It is very heartwarming to see gymnasts rallying for her, even Khorkina who has said less than savoury things about Biles in the past. I think many gymnasts can relate to what happened and almost feel a duty to defend not just Biles, but their sport from those who don’t understand what happened on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I dont understand why people like Piers Morgan can be so hateful and not understanding of mental illness

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back