US National 2022 Senior WAG Day 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Sorry, I don’t see it
That’s fine. I’m not mad at anyone giving it a 1. In my view, it’s not 180. There are body posture issues. And the feet (which you’ve conceded to). It is borderline 1 or 3 and I’m sure you’ll find many judges on both sides of the fence. That’s why you have a panel of 7. But theres no denying though that Shilese’s are more beautiful, don’t you think? How do we reward Shilese?

Last edited:
I suppose the simplification is nice but it would be nice to see the code reward those who do some things extraordinarly well… Flavia’s ring position… Urazova’s wolf turn. I know we stayed away from figure skating’s scoring for a reason but it’d be nice to see those two examples being rewarded.
Yet I’ve never seen an official, logical “reasoning” for ANY decision made since '06 re: the COP. At a high level, the ‘open-ended’ code was put in place to create a more ‘objective’ system beyond the constraints of a 10.0 SV. That mission is already too simplistic, yet the WTC still has only actually addressed it in:
  • A, B, C; G, H, I, J (+) elements receive value, while prior to '06, only D (0.10), E (0.20), and F/Super E (0.30) elements added to the base.
  • CV is not limited by a 10.0 SV max, and can be earned through additional elements beyond DV.
That’s IT. Maybe if the WTC was held accountable to, the idea that the COP exists “for a reason,” they could see those 2 “features” don’t even scratch the surface of creating a more objective, accurate, and inclusive scoring system.

It’s obvious there’s nothing “objective” or fair about making risk 1 (0.10), 3 (0.30), or even 5 (0.50) times greater than the reward of upgrading from C > D; E > F; etc. We overhauled the 10.0 solely to ensure a RO (B) earns.20 DV, while an Onodi (D) on with: pause, flexed toe, > minor adjustment (-0.30) on landing = LESS than having done nothing?

“Open-ended,” “objective,” “fair” need to apply to the balance of risk and reward. IOW, DV of D+ elements, the proportion between DV and deductions (increments and spread of deductions available), execution/artistry above technical mins. Even with DV stuck in +0.10 per letter, it’s common sense 0.05 deductions are needed to 1) incentivize upgrades, 2) accurately separate execution. With a 0.10, 0.30, 0.50 “body shape” rubric, the WTC is going further into a world where “objective” plays little to no role.

This is why routines have become compulsory. With 8 D elements on BB (DMT, 3-4 dance elements, 3-4 aerial-type skills) + 0.3 CV = 5.5 / 9.90 SV in 01-04 / 10.0 SV in 97-00. With an avg. of -0.20 per skill, we have an 8.40 E base from which we can deduct very obvious errors and end up with E scores between 7.8 and 8.2. #progresss.

Last edited:
Jones is a little bent at the back knee so her back foot gets a little higher
I don’t see a bend in Jones’ back leg at all, but that could be me.

Chiles often gets dinged in her leaps because of her hip alignment. She isn’t always square and her hips are splayed. That is a lack of precision there.

Chiles often gets dinged in her leaps because of her hip alignment. She isn’t always square and her hips are splayed. That is a lack of precision there.
100%. Chiles does not have a good body position in her splits. Her hips are not in the correct position. It contributes to the overall evaluation of body shape deviation from the ideal execution.

Last edited:
I don’t think Carey looked a ton more artistic on floor or Chiles looked more beautiful on beam, but they both looked so much more CONFIDENT. So much easier to appreciate Carey’s tumbling when she doesn’t look like a scared little rabbit. And Chiles confident beam set was also such an improvement. Both really demonstrated the benefits NCAA competition can bring to a gymnast.

They’ve really tried with Carey’s floor. I wish she could just let herself go. It’s a paint-by-numbers choreography which I think would look so much more artistic if she wasn’t so stiff. If Jess Gadirova did that same routine it would be fantastic.

Last edited:
100%. Chiles does not have a good body position in her splits. Her hips are not in the correct position. It contributes to the overall evaluation of body shape deviation from the ideal execution.
Which was ignored over and over by US judges last year and unfortunately both USAG and Chiles found out the hard way when she (and most of the US) got nailed in execution by the judges in Tokyo.
Yes artistry was a major concern, but the US lost out due to Russia having superior dance elements that either got .1 or .0 off. Whereas the US was often getting .3 off each, and it added up.

I did a search for “squared hips vs splayed hips gymnastics” and could not find anything (article or video). Can you point me in the right direction?

Her hips should face forwards, not sideways. It makes hitting splits much easier when you turn the hips sideways.

Last edited:
I don’t think Carey looked a ton more artistic on floor or Chiles looked more beautiful on beam, but they both looked so much more CONFIDENT. So much easier to appreciate Carey’s tumbling when she doesn’t look like a scared little rabbit. And Chiles confident beam set was also such an improvement. Both really demonstrated the benefits NCAA competition can bring to a gymnast.
I hope that Carey sticks with similar tumbling. I don’t want her going for crazy difficulty just to raise the D score. Her routine last night was actually enjoyable to me for the first time. Her Chusovitina was fabulous and her presentation, while not ideal, was still improved. I took off .4 which is the lowest artistry deduction I have ever given her IIRC. .4 off is a massive improvement instead of .7 or .8

I thought she was significantly improved as well. But then I am not a stickler for artistry and I am a huge Jade fan

I can’t tell by side shots. The overhead shots were perfect.
Judges don’t judge from viewing overhead though, it definitely takes some practice. But that is what they have trained their eyes to do. Overtime, it became easier for me to see it also.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back