US National 2022 Senior WAG Day 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I was trying to tell the difference in how much tush is visible (in the pics that lend to that) and Melnikova has lots of tush showing to. So isn’t hers a bit splayed also?

The US judges were on drugs again, no WAY they get those high scores in international competition. Again a LOT of heartache for the US team after worlds…What is the point of this?

The US judges were on drugs again, no WAY they get those high scores in international competition. Again a LOT of heartache for the US team after worlds…What is the point of this?
I thought the judging was a bit better than its been in the past, but still room for improvement.
Chiles floor score is definitely not what she will get internationally.

Reactions: Dex
I was trying to tell the difference in how much tush is visible (in the pics that lend to that) and Melnikova has lots of tush showing to. So isn’t hers a bit splayed also?
In that screencap, yes. As is often the case, how well you can hide the deduction plays into whether or not you get dinged for it.

Yes. On the whole it was probably only 2-3 tenths too high. In years past, it was more like 4-5. Over 12 routines, that’s a lot.

What annoys me more is the uneven distribution of leniency.

On the positive side, if you just go by the scores the wwgym judges gave (though maybe we would want more than two in the mix), Chiles 54.7 is good enough to medal at Euros. and Jones 56.4 is superb. I would actually love a Worlds podium of Andrade, Jones, and… ?

Last edited:

D Panel:
3/2 to Full In 0.2
DLO
Double Wolf
L Hop 1/1 to Split 1/1 (DG)
Switch Side 1/2
Front Lay through to Double Tuck 0.1

DCCC|CEFD + 0.3CV + 0.2DMT = 5.6 (USAG: 5.6)

E Panel:
3/2 - legs 0.1
Full In - legs 0.1; precision (landing) 0.1; large jump 0.3
DLO - legs 0.1, small jump 0.1
Double Wolf - body shape 0.3; precision (overturned) 0.1
L Hop 1/1 - nothing
Split 1/1 - 0.1 body shape (feet); 0.1 precision (overturned)
Switch Side 1/2 - body shape 0.1 (in real time)
0.1 excessive prep/unnecessary adjustment in corner
Front Lay - bent knees 0.1 (in real time)
Double Tuck - feet 0.1; body posture 0.1; small hop 0.1

Total Execution deductions: 2.0

Artistry: Poor Body Posture (Head, Shoulders, Trunk); Feet Not Pointed; Insufficient Complexity = 0.3

E Panel: 7.7 (USAG: 8.35)

On the slo-mo, you can of course find more. I didn’t realise how bent the free leg in the switch side half was. It was like that in Tokyo too. Hard to spot in real time if you’re not sitting at the right angle. That could easily go 3. Also, the bent knees in the front lay, coupled with the very flexed feet, I think a judge sitting at the right angle could also take 3 for that.

I also only took 4 on the landing of the Full In, but there’s a case she did 1 large hop and then 1 additional step for an extra tenth. Maybe @irichluck21 took that.

Last edited:
Chiles 54.7 is good enough to medal at Euros.
100%. No one is saying she’s a bad gymnast. We are just trying to judge her with an international pen.

I admit she looks much better than she did at podium training. I thought she was in trouble.

Doing something like this, at 0:10 in, is a great way to tell the judges “Do not ding me for poor body posture, poor footwork, or insufficient amplitude (elongation of the movements) today. Oh, and I can also hit a Ring position, so don’t ding me a 3 for my Switch Ring which is coming up later

Team USA should do this more. Start off with a great first impression. I saw this and IMMEDIATELY discounted any of those deductions from my final score.

It’s one day of domestic competition, but whichever two Americans make the final for the AA podium? Other than Andrade I don’t think anyone else who has qualified has shown anything to challenge the top few from last night.

Team USA should do this more. Start off with a great first impression. I saw this and IMMEDIATELY discounted any of those deductions from my final score.
She had the best artistry for the entire group IMO. She’s really lacking the expression that could easily be changed. The choreography after her 1 1/2 to 1/1 is the trouble spot. She looks a little annoyed in the face as if she would rather be doing anything else. Show a little bit more facial expression and she gets.1 back.

During Jordan’s bars, Tim completely rewrote the actual history of Tokyo TF. Jordan had been slated to do AA in TF for months. She was only pulled from bars and beam because of her prelims disaster. It was Grace who was only supposed to compete two events. She was the one that stepped up in TF, not Jordan.

Then Tim goes on to say that the team earned the silver etc etc and it was all because of Jordan’s heroics. What they fail to say is that Jordan scored like back-to-back 52s in the AA, had the worst meet of her life, and her scores could have been easily replicated and beaten by probably the top 15 girls on the National Team (ie any of them).

It’s just a complete re-writing of history and it annoys me. Especially given how they dug into ASac’s bad meet and her quest for “redemption” for the ENTIRE 09-12 quad.

I wonder what ASac thinks as she listens to the commentary now. Tim hammered her for years and years about her “disappointment” in Beijing. But no, Jordan is a hero.

Last edited:
Well, the narrative at the time was also more generous too. “They won the silver” was the pretty common theme whereas in 2008, Andrea Joyce did everything but stomp on their toes to try to get them to cry about not winning gold.

I also was kind of annoyed at the whole “they WON the silver” thing. I mean, it is true that they were in a difficult situation and they did well considering. However, who were they up against for the silver? China who fell apart and GB who had one of their best meets ever to get bronze? It was always going to be gold or silver for the US.

I do think it’s good that the narrative is more positive now, though. Maybe they’re learning from their mistakes of 2008.

One of the best in regard to form but not artistry due to the lack of expression, emotion, and interesting choreography.
I literally said she is lacking expression and emotion.

It’s an easy fix if they focus on it.

Which is astounding when you consider that Andrea would be very well aware the US had just lost to a team who were cheating!

But I think there’s a middle ground, which they’re not hitting here. The line could’ve been here is Jordan Chiles, a member of the team who won Olympic silver after the unexpected withdrawal of Simone Biles. Her strongest event in Tokyo was vault, where we will tonight see her compete the same double twisting Yurchenko that she used there. When she’s on floor they could point out that she’s removed the pass that caused her problems at the Olympics. That type of thing. Factual, but not hagiographic or throwing anyone to the wolves either.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back