US Classic Senior Session 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Well, the rules in Chellsie’s case apparently did allow the petition, since she has had an injury. I appreciate that this is a rather wide exemption, but they’ve committed to it now. As for BG, if their Nationals criteria are anything like the Olympic team selection procedures, it’ll be written so they can do whatever they fucking like.

But “having an injury” is not, alone, the ticket to a successful petition.

They’ve completely ignored the written requirements.

Angela Lansbury Reaction GIF

Page 5 of this PDF has the petition procedures: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2020/10_eliteprogram_010321.pdf

IV. PROCEDURES FOR PETITIONING
Petitioning procedures are used when the athlete is unable to compete due to illness, injury or extenuating circumstances; they are not intended to replace the qualification system. If a petition is denied, the athlete is ineligible to submit another petition for a higher-level meet.
A. USA Championships
  1. No petitions will be considered for athletes obtaining an all-around score at a Classic competition.
  2. Any athlete who has attended one or more Working, Developmental, or National Team training camps in the current year is eligible to submit a petition for consideration.
  3. All athletes who are not able to compete in the All-Around at a Classic meet due to a previous injury but are planning to petition to Championships will be required to attend the U.S. Classic and perform on a minimum of one event, unless the athlete has competed in a USA Gymnastics international competition during the current competitive year or verified at a National Team training camp within the month prior to the U.S. Classic Meet.
  4. The petition must be sent to the Vice President of Women’s Program prior to the Classic competition, unless the athlete is injured during the Classic competition. The petition must include:
    a. A written request from her coach, and/or her parent or guardian stating the reason for petition.
    b. A photocopy of the gymnast’s All-Around results from her most current Elite Meet(s).
    5. A physician’s written verification of the illness or injury and the date of release for return to activity must be included with all injury petitions.
  5. The Athlete Selection Committee will make all decisions regarding petitions for Classics/Championships.
    a. Decisions will be evaluated on an individual basis.
    b. The submission of a petition is not a guarantee of acceptance.
    c. The committee will consider the following areas when evaluating the petition:
    1) Results from recent international and national competitions.
  1. D (Difficulty) and E (Execution) Scores in comparison to the current Elite qualification chart. Note that, per event, the three-event score is higher than a four-event score.
  2. World Class presentation.
  3. Readiness to compete.
  4. Physical capability to fulfill training plan as listed in the Women’s Responsibility Manual.
  1. The National Office, as instructed by the Athlete Selection Committee, will notify the gymnast and her coach of the approval or denial of the petition.
    8. There will be no other avenue for admittance to Championships outside of these petitioning procedures (i.e., video or pre-meet verification).
Given that Chellsie has not attended a Camp - I don’t know how she’s even eligible to submit a petition.

And even then - it is a STRETCH for the petition to be granted on the basis of an FTY and an 11 on beam.

Last edited:
Ta. So what’s the bit they’ve ignored? Obv I don’t know about the procedural stuff, but assuming that was all fine, 6c looks like it’s deliberately widely drafted to allow them leeway when they want it.

Oh I thought she had. Ignore me then.

eta- maybe they will say it’s covid related? As in, usually there would be x number of opportunities to attend in the last year or whatever period we would normally use, but as there were some cancelled we don’t feel it’s fair to apply this rule as usual.

Last edited:
Current year as in 2021? She hurt her ankle In February? Her team had to have some contact with Tom before the injury in order to obtain the invite. My point where’s the harm in letting her go to nationals?

I mean, I’m not saying they can’t twist the rules to fit Chellsie.

My point is - “what’s the point in having rules if you’re just gonna piss all over them?”

It might as well just say: “if you want to go to Nationals without a qualifying score, send me a letter explaining why and I’ll have a think and let you know.”

If they add to that ‘provided you’re a former world, AA and EF champion and an Olympian who we still owe for 2006’ then that would be absolutely fine! I do actually think there’s something to be said for a rule that would allow any athlete of sufficient previous achievements to automatically have the right to compete at Nationals if wished. Perhaps any world and/or Olympic champion.

We are also in a rather niche situation which hopefully won’t be repeated again due to the pandemic, and there have been plenty of instances of rules being changed or not applied because of it. If my petition were going to be denied on the grounds that I hadn’t attended a camp, I’d be kicking up a massive fuss about any restriction in my opportunities to do so.

Oh Doug that was barely a trickle not pissing all over them.

I think any former world or Olympic champ should have an open invitation for nationals… what’s the harm and wouldn’t it bring in more tickets? I’m not sure how I feel about the same with ANY world/Olympic team member or national champ though…

As far as I understand, she was invited to camp but didn’t go because of ankle problems. Maybe they’re fudging that into having attended a camp?

She’s definitely done video verifications and been in close communication with Tom about her progress, which I think is the spirit of the camp requirement; I feel like with COVID and travel restrictions, making sure the spirit of what is being looked for (verified with NT staff, kept them fully aware of progress) is more important than the actual travel and stay in the camp dorms part.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back