US Classic Senior Session 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If they are bending the rules enough to let a FTY and 11 in on beam then I suspect they’ll let anyone there do all events. In interviews today Chellsie said floor might not be ready and bars would be close so it sounds like she expects to have the option of all four. Riley isn’t doing FX today so she won’t have a four event qualifying score either.

I’m okay with Tom’s decision. I think for me it comes down to the fact that she’s not taking a spot from anyone else, and realistically, I don’t think it’s going to change anything that happens over the next couple of months. Chellsie’s awesome, but given the depth of the US team I think she has roughly a snowball’s chance in hell of making the Olympic team. I don’t think it’s so terrible to give a little grace to someone who hasn’t competed in nearly a decade, and who also has a strong competitive record when she’s healthy.

Exactly this.

I’d also add that this is an extraordinary year for many reasons, so now is a good time for a less stringent approach. I’m fine with a bit of leniency elsewhere even for people who haven’t won AA, EF and team world titles, been Olympians or saved USAG’s arse following imbecile decisions by an abusive head coach.

I agree, but I do wonder if “not feeling well” was actually coded language for an injury.

Hopefully Morgan can petition too. She still doesn’t look quite ready since surgery. I don’t think she’s going to do well tonight…

Grace McCallum, Uneven Bars

1 x F (Downie / piked Tkatchev from stalder entry)
2 x E (stalder Shaposhnikova 1/2, piked Jaeger)
4 X D (stalder full, Maloney / toe-on Shaposhnikova, Pak salto, full twisting double tuck)
1 x C (toe-on 1/2)

Total DV - 3.5

CV:

stalder full + Maloney + Pak salto + stalder Shaposhnikova 1/2 (D + D or higher x 2, E + D or higher, both with flight) - 0.4

Total CV - 0.4

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Pak salto
Flight element on same bar - Downie
Different Grips - toe-on 1/2, piked Jaeger
Non-flight with 360 degree turn - stalder full

Total D - 3.5 + 0.4 + 2.0 = 5.9

Deductions

stalder full
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees past handstand) 0.3
Maloney
  • (slight leg separation at the end of the back swing) 0.1^
  • (adjusted grip) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.1
stalder Shaposhnikova 1/2
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (lack of precision / incomplete turn) 0.1
toe-on 1/2
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees past handstand) 0.3^ (borderline between 0.1 and 0.3 in real time)
piked Jaeger
  • (flexed feet at the bottom of the swing) 0.1
Downie
  • (bent knees during reverse hect phase) 0.3
  • (intermediate swing → in the case of intermediate swing, no additional deductions are taken for form) 0.5
cast to handstand 1/2
  • (angle of completion → past 45 degrees of handstand) 0.5
  • (grip adjustment) 0.1
full twisting double tuck
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (hop on landing) 0.1
Total Deductions - (2.6 - 2.9) / 7.1 - 7.4

^ Denotes borderline / not as visible from judges’ angle, valid position for a judge to not deduct

I think most of these girls would benefit immensely from switching to 3 pass routines and counting a B/C dance skill. A lot of deduction-trap double tuck/pikes at the end of a routine.

Rosen’s floor was delightful. Shame about McClain. Props to Grace for competing w those screws but her gymnastics is rather boring.

If I were an 05’, I’d stick to trying to peak for Worlds than push for Tokyo and risk burn out. Especially McClain/Blakely. They could realistically be AA champ in a post OG worlds w/o Simone in attendance.

It is not reflected in the elite qualification chart, but the elite committee is allowing any gymnast that met the qualifying score at an international competition in 2020 (so, Gymnix and Am Cup) to qualify to nationals. Hurd and McClain meet that criteria.

I really like Rosen She won’t be a factor this year. Too bad USA is so deep because in other years Rosen would probably manage to make Olympic Trials. I can see her being a factor for the World team in 2022, 2023 if she continues to improve.

Team GB doesn’t have a former world AA Champion

If they accepted Chellsie’s petition Morgan’s should be. I so wish Morgan, Grace, Suni et. al were healthy enough to compete lights out.

But winning worlds 16 years ago is, quite frankly, irrelevant to your current performance level.

Rules are and always have been interpreted how the people in power want. Lawyers come in and re-interpret for the advantage of their client.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back