US Classic Senior Session 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Grace McCallum - Balance Beam

Acro:

1 x E (double pike dismount)
3 x D (candle mount, side aerial, aerial)
1 x C (layout stepout)

Total Acro DV - 2.0

Dance:

1 x E (3 1/2 turn in tuckstand, credit as Mitchell)
2 x D (2 1/2 turn in tuckstand, side straddle jump 1/2)

Total Dance DV - 1.3

CV / Series Bonus

split leap + side aerial + layout stepout (B + D mixed, D + C acro) = 0.3 CV, 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 0.4

CR

Dance Series - sissone + full turn
Turn - full turn
Acro Series with Salto - side aerial + layout stepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - layout stepout, aerial

Total D - 3.3 + 0.4+ 2.0 = 5.7

Deductions

2 1/2 turn in tuckstand
  • (lack of precision / turn looks slightly off balance) 0.1^ (No deduction for over rotation because the COP specifies the element as double or 2 1/2 turn.)
3 1/2 turn in tuckstand
  • (lack of precision / turn looks slightly off balance) 0.1
  • (hesitation in performance of element / tempo slowed on the final 1/2 turn) 0.1
side straddle jump 1/2
  • (lack of precision, right foot slightly short, as well as torso) 0.1
  • (medium balance adjustment) 0.3
split leap
  • (insufficient split - between 0 and 20 degrees) 0.1
split leap + side aerial
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1^
side aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
layout stepout
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
aerial
  • (bent knees) 0.1
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
round off
  • (adjustment / excessive preparation) 0.1
double pike
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (landing posture) 0.1
  • (step on landing) 0.1
Total - 1.8

Artistry / Overall
  • (Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1^ (Objectively speaking I think she could do more, particularly in terms of creative transitions in and out of elements, and in particular, the pass across the beam before the dismount where no elements are being performed. However, if separation between routines is needed, I would not deduct for artistry because it is superior comparatively speaking to most routines.)
Total E - 8.1 - 8.4 / (-1.6 -1.9)

Last edited:
The Defector did a nice article on Chellsie.

Why can McClain petition to Nationals then? As far as I know she hasn’t done AA this entire year (either in Competition or at Camp) and she didn’t make the required 3 event score at Classics either? Is claiming feeling sick enough to say ok let’s just pass her through to Nationals?

McClain qualified to nationals based on her Gymnix 2020 performance. It isn’t on the elite qualification chart, but the International Elite Committee voted in June 2020 to allow any gymnast who obtained a qualifying score (via national qualifier, camp, or international assignment) to Classics or Nationals before Covid shutdown to use those scores for 2021.

Hurd qualifies to nationals based on her 2020 Am Cup score.

Ahh okay makes sense then. It’s been really confusing knowing who’s actually qualified and how about they qualified to Nationals. It seems there have been less statements made this year regarding camps and the national team. It’s just been weird and confusing all round . Every athlete has had to endure obstacles due to Covid restrictions/closures, illness, etc etc. I hope they just give them ALL the benefit of the doubt and let everyone comped tree at nationals.

Last edited:
Just random thought re Chellsie’s petition in absence of attending camp:

Andy posted on 16th of April about verification Perhaps they sent videos of two events and then Tom also factored in latest hamstring injury. She’d been consistently enough doing the double on vault up until the hamstring started giving trouble. From what was said it’s seems her petition was submitted before classics.

Given how quickly the petition was accepted, surely it was discussed beforehand. To be honest, I think the right call was made. She has shown the internet each week where she is at and it is clear that she has the skills needed to justify a spot at nationals. I’m still hoping she will factor in for the Worlds team.

Skylar Draser. I’m rewatching Session 1 because I missed parts of it, and I am just now watching her floor routine. I wish she could get a little help with routine polishing. Her shoulders drop forward a lot instead of making a move look clean. She looks either bored or miserable and needs better execution even on the dance elements. This seems like such an easy thing to clean up. Maybe she was just having a rough day?

I didn’t think she was particularly bad, or bad enough to single out. She had pretty complex choreo and I agree that she could perform it a little better, however I don’t see signs of her being bored or miserable.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back