US Classic Senior Session 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I agree with the score that Memmel got. I actually doubt htat Nastia and Tim are genuinely surprised. It felt like a way of being nice to Memmel. they know she has all kinds of execution issues with splits and leg form. She also lacks artistry, e.g., creative choreography and no work in relevé.

We keep saying she should remove, say, the Illusion, which never gets close to a split, and replace with more choreo in relevé.

Currently, just that the position is correct, i.e. 180° and not a blend of straddle and cross split. but anywhere within the twist.

So a 25.5 for Chellsie. With a fall, it’s actually higher than I thought she would get.

But that’s gonna be a tough call for Tom. There’s gonna be a bunch of girls in the 25’s on 2 events that won’t get an invite.

Nastia telling Grace she “didn’t miss a beat” … well, she missed the bar on her Downie, Nastia…

I think they set the qualifying mark too high. The juniors only have 13 qualifiers. This session had 3 AAers, one 3 eventer, and one 2 eventer make the score.

Doesn’t seem like as many athletes are ready to hit as they expected.

Sure there are plenty of girls who can score 25s, but how many of them are world champs who also have a really great PR story? I say the case is strong to let her through along the lines of the “Nastia loophole.”

I totally want Chellsie at Nationals. But a “great PR story” and world medals from 2003-2006 are not part of the petition criteria to make Nationals 2021.

Well the Nastia loophole was more like, she could really help the team on their week event . . . (Although the 2012 team didn’t “need help”)

I would be in favor of the “we have a year without watching gymnastics and now more gymnasts is better” loophole. Or a “former champion” loophole . . .

Smart score-wise, but I’d rather see the illusion. I know you’re talking only about the numbers here, but IMO choosing unique skills is part of artistry too. Chellsie’s illusion is not perfect, but I think it adds a lot to the routine and it just suits her. Hope it stays and that she can continue to refine it.

Reigning Olympic silver medalist loophole…

And really, does it harm them to have nearly everyone show up at Nationals? They aren’t all going to get invited for trials, more family members to sell tickets too…

Dump the lower scoring gymnasts into a first session, show it on Peacock, keep the evening session for everyone who made or well exceeded the required score and put it on network tv and sell two sessions worth of tickets. (Is it still two days? Then have day one be a freeforall, but if you don’t meet a minimum score/placement, you don’t make it to the second day) It’s not like USAG is paying for the athlete’s hotel rooms, right?

Last edited:
I think a wider pool is warranted since there are two major meets, no one is really hitting, and a lot of athletes will move on after the Olympics. It also hasn’t been a great year for injuries.

IMO not taking a lot athletes to Nats is going to push retirements that USAG might regret. It would be different if there wasn’t a Worlds or if there were other meets for these athletes to attend this summer.

She has been refining the illusion for years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her perform without deduction. I really do think it should go.

USAG could really use some good news stories. They have Biles, Laurie the returning Rio medalist and…Chellsie, if they take her to Nationals.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back