Cairo World Cup 2023, April 27-30

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If she’s doing that onodi, it’s because she doesn’t have the flexibility to even cheat an aerial walkover

She can actually do a front aerial with perhaps deductions on flexed feet and bent knee. I get that some may think Onodi is reserved for flexible gymnasts, but there’s no incentive for her to change if the code of point doesn’t allow judges to take body shape deduction on Onodi.

I agree she should take out the sideways straddle jump instead. There are more deductions on this skill than just counting the wolf jump.

She can’t fix it in several days. Probably just throw it to avoid additional 0.3 lack of split and 0.1 wobble…

Roberson actually has potential for a good score on beam. She had obvious errors here and still almost went 13 with FIG judges on her far easier routine. I don’t understand what is happening with the coaching of this gymnast on this event.

The routine she just did in Cairo has kept me up at night… Cecile and Laurent need a massage or something because this isn’t the direction I thought they would take her. But she’s killing it on VT/FX in terms of judging, they just need to decide how to hide her weaknesses elsewhere.

What direction did you think they would take her? They probably would throw away problematic skills that are not consistent (e.g. mount) or replace them by something else.

She’s only been there 6 months or so? They aren’t miracle workers. You can’t undo 10 years of rubbish coaching and awful technique in 6 months, no matter how much natural talent the athlete might have

Finals are underway. I’m up way too early for a saturday.

hopefully d’amato is ok. she was limping. cant believe Joseclyn won

Asia only scored 13.1 for her second vault. Any idea what happened?

maybe the Italian coach does not know how to pace their gymnasts. They probably should compete less

My point was more that she’s still doing all of her skills the same way, but there are just way less of them. The flight series in particular was usually solid, so it’s bizarre that they truncated it rather than remove skills like the “Onodi” and the problematic jumps. They aren’t ever going to be able to undo the rubbish coaching, but they’ve gotten her into the 14s on floor, which puts her among the best in the world there. The beam strategy just doesn’t seem clear to me yet.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back