Cairo World Cup 2023, April 27-30

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Incredible, in a bad way, to think Italy could feasibly have been world champions with that 2003 generation. And instead, we’re having this conversation. Probably not for the last time either, because we all know absolutely nothing will get learned.

There was zero reason to have that World Cup
It is part of the World Cup circuit to qualify to Worlds, so it had to happen.

However, Italy, who already has a team qualified to Worlds based on being in team finals last year, had zero reason to be there, especially their A team members.

Especially so soon after Euros.
Sad to think that Villa isn’t on all events and Asia is out for worlds. They have depth, but I was rooting for another showdown with GBR

Sad to think that Villa isn’t on all events and Asia is out for worlds.
From what I understand from several sources, Villa is not on all events permanently.
She is limited to just bars and beam for the rest of her career.

Can someone refresh me on what Asia’s prior injury was? It was Alice who hurt her ankle at Euros last year, right? When did Asia get injured? I can’t keep up.

It doesn’t seem like Martina will be back for Worlds this year either

Thanks. How frustrating for her and for Italy, especially with the news about Maggio. I so badly want to see Italy reach their potential.

Reddit has a thread, but what I understood from Twitter is that she has too much bone in a part of her ankle and it’s touching the tendon so they need to shave it down. Surgery in June I think, but apparently she’s competing in Serie A before that.

Last edited:
On Asia’s vault, have we actually discussed why on earth it happened?

She was high, clean, plenty of time to land, wasn’t particularly offline, certainly wasn’t drilling into the floor. Chest was up. i’m baffled.

She downgraded, too, did she not? I swear she did a full twist in prelims.

My guess is that its been slowly falling apart and when she hit the springboard it tore enough, but probably not completely, for her to know something was wrong, hence bailing and only doing a half–an easier landing if you fear your knee is compromised. Then the landing was just too much when her ACL was already destroyed.

Very similar thing happened to me. I kept training through persistent but tolerable knee pain and instability until there was no ACL left. It just kinda unraveled slowly over time. My knee didn’t even buckle like Asia…I just finally decided it wasn’t getting better and needed see a doc. We were all shocked when the MRI results came back.

Last edited:
And yet Alice was drilling this short triple into the ground completely fine!
IMG_0250

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back